When you’re in the mood for a quick and easy dinner, this Santa Fe inspired flatbread pizza recipe checks all the boxes! Simply pick up some store-bought flatbread, crispy frozen chicken, pile on all your favorite toppings, and bake.
We have a family pizza night just about once a week. Everyone gets to pick their own toppings, and it’s a fun way to get our kids to try something new. I mean, anything covered in cheese is delicious… so I try to sneak a few vegetables under there whenever I can. Other varieties we often make include my Barbecue B.L.T. Flatbreads, these Chicken Parmesan French Bread Pizzas, and when we’re really hungry… my Deep Dish Detroit-Style Pepperoni Pizza hits the spot.
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE:
While this is everything we added to our version, feel free to personalize to your own taste and add or subtract whatever you’d like. Here’s what you’ll need:
FOR THE FLATBREADS:
- Store-bought Flatbreads
- Enchilada Sauce
- Monterey Jack Cheese
FOR THE TOPPINGS:
- Black Beans
- Red Bell Pepper
- Red Onion
- Springer Mountain Farms Chicken Chunks
- Jalapeño Pepper
- Black Olives
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sour Cream
Sometimes we add chopped tomatoes and garlic, or we’ll use my Creamy Tomatillo Salsa Verde with Avocado as a base. I like serving with sour cream, but you can also whip up some Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing in a matter of minutes. Ooh, or a drizzle of my Tangy Alabama White Sauce is never a bad idea.
SOME COMMON Q&A:
WHAT IS FLATBREAD?
- This is traditionally a thinner bread that has been unleavened (made with no yeast). It’s very similar to a naan or pita bread, which would also work great in this recipe.
CAN I USE REGULAR PIZZA DOUGH?
- Of course! You can make your own, or opt for store-bought dough. Those can usually be found in the refrigerated section of your local grocery store next to the bakery. If I’m using pizza dough, I like to roll it out to the same size as my baking sheet.
WHY DO YOU USE A WIRE RACK?
- This is my personal preference, as it helps the heat go under the flatbreads and makes them extra crispy. If you place them directly on the baking sheet, the end result will be a more chewy texture… which isn’t a bad thing! Like I’ve said before – my recipes are flexible – so bake them however you like. You could also place them on a pizza stone or directly on the oven rack.
MORE RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
- 4 Medium-Sized Flatbreads
- 8 oz. Enchilada Sauce
- 16 oz. Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 15 oz. Black Beans, drained
- ½ Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- ¼ Red Onion, sliced
- 6 - 8 Springer Mountain Farms Chicken Chunks, chopped
- 2.25 oz. can Black Olives
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, chopped
- ½ cup Chopped Cilantro
- Lime wedges, as needed
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- Cook the chicken chunks according to packaged directions, chop and set aside.
- Place flatbread crusts on a greased baking sheet. Spread each one with enchilada sauce and half of the shredded cheese.
- Divide all the toppings amoung the flatbreads and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 425F until the crust is crispy and the cheese has melted, about 12 - 15 minutes. Slice the flatbreads and serve immediately with cilantro, lime wedges, and sour cream for garnish.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- If you need to save more time, you can bake the chicken chunks ahead of time, chop, and keep in the refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble. You can make them up to a day in advance. Don’t worry, they’ll warm back up when you’re baking the flatbread.
- I like the slight spicy addition of the enchilada sauce as a base, but feel free to use your favorite pasta sauce, salsa, or even a couple cans of blended green chilies.
- Serving size is based off of 1/2 flatbread per person. However, my husband can easily hoover down a whole one by himself. We have two young boys, who will usually eat half. For heartier appetites, I’d say this will serve four.
This post is sponsored in partnership with Springer Mountain Farms. Per the usual, all opinions here are mine alone and I would never recommend a product or ingredient that I did not immensely enjoy myself. Thank you for supporting the brands that support SliceOfJess.com!