I heart me some Spanish and Mexican fare. Part of my family on my mother’s side were actually from Spain, so I guess it’s ingrained in my blood. Ya’ll know I love my fusion recipes, so if you enjoy this one you might also like my Avocado Taquitos (pictured below), South American Chimichurri, or this Spicy Peruvian Green Sauce (also known as Aji Verde).
INGREDIENTS FOR AVOCADO CREMA:
There are a few base ingredients for this recipe, but I’ll also list additional flavors so you can make this your own! You know me, I always like to provide options.
- Avocado: One of my all-time savory fruits. Yes, since there’s a seed in the middle avocado’s are considered a fruit.
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt: I love the extra tang this provides. You can use either, whichever your personal preference is.
- Mayonnaise: This adds an extra layer of velvety creaminess.
- Fresh Lemon or Lime Juice: Citrus is always a good thing. Hello zesty pop!
- Dried Cilantro: I only had dried on hand, but you could also substitute with fresh herbs.
- Dried Mexican Oregano: I like the concentrated flavor of dried in this recipe.
- Garlic Powder: This isn’t 100% required, but I like a hint of garlic in my Avocado Crema.
- Salt: Every recipe needs a touch of salt to pull together all the flavors.
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper: This is an optional ingredient, but I highly recommend it!
- Cojita Cheese: This is an awesome crumbly cheese that’s salty and delish. If you decide to add some of this to your recipe, I’d go ahead and skip the salt.
- Roasted Tomatillos: I love, love love these! If you’re a fan as well, make sure to check out my Dutch Oven Pozole Verde!
- Fresh Jalapeño: This will make this condiment a bit spicy… and if that’s what you’re looking for then totally go for it!
- Roasted Corn Salsa: Not gonna lie, add some cojita cheese and it tastes like a variation of Mexican street corn… but better.
- Aji Amarillo Paste: Don’t judge my baby blogging skills… this was my very first blog post, ever. However, it’s one of my FAVORITE ingredients! It’s a Peruvian pepper paste, super tasty.
LOOKING FOR MORE AVOCADO RECIPES?
- California-Inspired Chickpea Avocado Salad
- Savory Oven Baked Eggs in Avocados
- Spicy Tuna Poke Bowl Tacos
- How To Make Avocado Toast (5 Ways)
- Habanero Avocado Instant Pot Chicken Sandwich
- The Best Avocado Chicken Salad with Cheesy Cracker Crust
- Egg and Avocado Spaghetti Squash Baskets with Eggs
- 1 Avocado
- ¼ cup Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Lemon or Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp. Dried Cilantro (can sub ¼ cup fresh)
- 1 tbsp. Dried Mexican Oregano
- ¼ tsp. Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- Add all ingredients listed to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth, scraping sides down as needed. Enjoy immediately.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- This recipe makes about 1-1/2 cups of Avocado Crema. I normally suggest 1/4 cup per person, but if you’d like to make more this can easily be doubled or tripled (or more!).
- Since this recipe has avocado, it will start to brown the longer it sits. If you’d like to make this ahead of time, keep it refrigerated in an airtight container with plastic wrap pressed directly onto the surface. Enjoy within 6 hours.
- Need more ideas for this recipe? You can use this as a dip with chips, dressing for salads, spread for sandwiches, inside burritos, or drizzled on top of eggs.
PIN THIS FOR LATER: