This Instant Pot Chicken Sandwich is slathered with a creamy habanero aioli and then stuffed with sautéed bell peppers, onions, melty cheddar and creamy avocado. Serve on a toasted roll, in a tortilla, or on a lettuce wrap if you’re going low-carb!
When it comes to sandwiches, I’m a go-big-or-go-home kind of gal. Back when we lived in California, my husband and I were obsessed with Ike’s Love & Sandwiches. They’re best known for their massive beast-like handhelds. Piled high with various meats, jalapeño poppers, mozzarella sticks, fried chicken, dirty sauce… you name it. Their first store was located in San Francisco, but have now expanded throughout California, Arizona and Nevada. Ike’s offers most of their culinary masterpieces on my all-time-favorite sandwich bread, Dutch Crunch. Oh, and added bonus… each sandwich comes with a caramel apple lollipop. Talk about AWESOME.
Whenever we’re in the mood, I take whatever ingredients I have on hand…. and make a sandwich.
I hadn’t really planned on blogging about this one, but after the first bite I knew I had to share this discovery with the masses. First, I used a combination of green salsa and Yellowbird Habanero for cooking the chicken. I worked with Yellowbird previously for these Sweet and Spicy Candied Pecans and have been addicted to their condiments ever since.
Next, I sautéed some peppers and onions in a skillet while the instant pot did it’s magic. I used mini red bell peppers, but feel free to use whatever color peppers you have on hand. To give the sandwich an extra kick, I decided to whip some Duke’s Mayonnaise together with garlic, lime juice and some additional habanero sauce. This combination is so dreamy; it’s great on sandwiches, as a French fry dip or drizzled over scrambled eggs.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup Green Salsa
- 3 tbsp. Habanero Hot Sauce
- ¼ cup Water
- 2 Hoagie Rolls
- 1 cup Sliced Bell Peppers, sautéed
- ½ Yellow Onion, sautéed
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp. Habanero Hot Sauce
- Place all ingredients for the chicken in the Instant Pot, turn valve to "sealing" and select the pressure cooker button. Set the timer for 15 minutes and allow the machine to pressurize.
- While the chicken cooks, sauté the peppers and onions.
- To make the spicy mayo, simply whisk together all ingredients listed and set aside.
- Once the chicken is cooked, switch the valve to "vent" for at least 10 minutes before opening. Shred chicken and get ready to assemble the sandwiches.
- Slather each side of the rolls with spicy mayo sauce. Next, pile each side with the pepper-onion mix, chicken and top with shredded cheese. Place sandwiches on a cooking sheet under your oven's broiler for 1 - 2 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Add avocado to one side of each sandwich half and then fold together to devour. Enjoy!
NOTES ON INSTANT POT CHICKEN SANDWICHES:
- If you don’t own an Instant Pot, you can certainly make this in the slow cooker. Simply use the same ingredients and place on low for 6 – 8 hours. For more slow cooker recipes, click here!
- For extra heat, I think a freshly sliced jalapeño would be an amazing addition. Pickled ones would work nicely as well. Oh, and a layer of Spicy Pimento Cheese isn’t a bad idea either.
- Want to make this more like Ike’s? Go ahead and add some French fries, mozzarella sticks and drizzle it with my Alabama White Sauce.
PIN THIS FOR LATER: