This Instant Pot Shredded Chicken is an incredibly versatile recipe that can be used in salads, sandwiches, tacos, or simply served over rice with veggies. It’s perfect for weekday meal prep and can be made with fresh or frozen chicken.
I’m a big fan of making chicken in both the instant and crock pot. It’s such a simple way to cook large batches of perfectly shreddable protein. I honestly make a batch almost every Sunday for the week ahead.
Since I make it so often, I’ve tried a ton of seasoning options.
We’ve got two small boys in the house, so as much as I’d love to heat this bad boy up with jalapeños and chilies, I usually stick to the mild stuff. Everything But The Bagel Seasoning has proven to be extra flavorful, toddler and parent approved. Garlic, Onion, Salt, Pepper… how can you go wrong? Let’s talk about easy, too. All you need to do is add 1 tablespoon of the seasoning along with 1 cup of chicken bone broth to the pot and you’re good to go.
You can grab Everything But The Bagel Seasoning at Trader Joe’s and select grocery stores. If you want to make your own, mix the following in a small bowl. Store leftovers in a sealable jar and use within a year.
- 2 Tbsp. White Sesame Seeds
- 1 Tbsp. Black Sesame Seeds
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Flakes
- 1 Tbsp. Onion Flakes
- 1/2 Tbsp. Poppy Seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp. Kosher Salt
Is bone broth completely necessary? Well, no. But I love how it adds an extra punch of flavor and protein. The additional collagen also keeps the chicken super moist after shredding. However, if you prefer regular chicken broth, that will work with this recipe perfectly fine as well.
WATCH OUR LATEST VIDEOS:
When making a big batch of chicken, I almost always use frozen. Honestly, I stock up on individually-wrapped chicken breasts when they’re on sale and immediately freeze them when I get home. This way, I can thaw the chicken when needed and I don’t have to worry about passing the freeze-by date. I’m a HUGE fan when it comes to individually-wrapped chicken breasts because I can thaw them, in the wrapping, without having to worry about chicken juice getting everywhere. They also freeze really nicely with no freezer-burn. Springer Mountain Farms offers a pack that I often purchase.
INSTANT POT SHREDDED CHICKEN BASICS:
I set the pressure cooker tab and set the timer for 15 minutes. It will take around 7 – 8 minutes to pressurize, then 15 minutes to cook. If you are using fresh chicken, you can cut the timer down to 10 minutes if you’re in a hurry. Once cooked, let the steam release for at least 10 minutes before opening. This gives the chicken a little time to rest and soak up the juices.
When you’re ready, go ahead and take the lid off and then shred the chicken with two forks. You can add additional Everything But The Bagel Seasoning if you’d like. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. It really depends on how I’m going to serve it. My family absolutely loves pulled chicken sandwiches drizzled with my Tangy Alabama White Sauce. It’s seriously so delish (and we’re officially addicted).
- 1 cup Chicken Bone Broth or Stock
- 1 tbsp. Everything But The Bagel Seasoning
- 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Place bone broth and seasoning in the instant pot. Set chicken inside the pot and cover with the lid.
- Turn valve to "sealing" and select the pressure cooker button.
- Set the timer for 15 minutes and allow the cooker to pressurize.
- Once cooked, switch the valve to "vent" and let the instant pot release pressure release for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, open the lid and ladle out about half the liquid.
- Shred with two forks and serve as desired. You can add more seasoning here if you wish.
- Store any remaining chicken in a ziplock bag or sealable container, refrigerated, for up to 3 days.
OTHER CHICKEN RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
PIN THIS FOR LATER: