Get inspired by how easily you can make two marvelous meals with one batch of chicken from your slow cooker. A scrumptious dinner doesn’t have to be complicated, say hello to your new best friend… Mr. Crockpot.
Easy-Shred Crockpot Chicken
This is an all-around recipe that can be used in several different dishes. It is mildly flavored so you can throw it into Chicken Salad, Stir Fry or my two recipes listed below.
- 6 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (fresh or frozen, they both work nicely)
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1 tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp. Onion Powder
- ¼ cup Chicken Broth (optional)
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
- Place Chicken in the crockpot and sprinkle with Seasonings. Pour Chicken Broth over Chicken and cook on low, for 6-8 hours. (If using frozen Chicken, Chicken Broth is not necessary.)
- Remove Chicken with tongs and use two forks to shred. Use immediately or store in a large ziplock bag, refrigerated for up to 3 days. You can also separate Chicken into individual size portions and freeze, in ziplock freezer bags, for up to 2 months.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- I almost always use frozen Chicken when I make a big batch of Crockpot Shredded Chicken. It’s a lot less expensive and practically tastes the same as fresh.
- Want to add a Mexican twist? Skip the spices and pour 1 cup of your favorite green salsa over the chicken before cooking. You can also add a thinly sliced yellow onion for additional flavor.
- If you’re a fan of spicy goodness, go ahead and add 2 – 3 chipotles in adobo to the slow cooker. Shred the peppers with the chicken and enjoy.
Crockpot Chicken – 2 Ways
Spicy BBQ Chicken Pizza
Buffalo Chicken Baked Ziti
Spicy BBQ Chicken Pizza
It’s not delivery, it’s not DiGiorno’s, it’s make-your-own, mouth-watering Pizza at home. In less than 20 minutes and with a few simple ingredients, you can skip the frozen aisle and head straight to flavor town.
- 1 can (8oz) Pillsbury Cresent Dough Sheet
- 4 tbsp BBQ Sauce (Have you tried Trader Joe’s Siracha Garlic BBQ sauce? My fav.)
- 1 cup Chicken, shredded
- 1/4 cup Red Onion, chopped
- 7-8 pickled Jalapenos (for extra heat, use fresh Jalapenos)
- 1 & 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh Cilantro, chopped (or more, to your preference)
- Red Pepper Flakes, for garnish (optional)
- Dried Oregano, for garnish (optional)
- Parmesan Cheese, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Unroll dough on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press and form the crust to your desired thickness and shape. (This Pillsbury Dough Sheet feeds 2 people nicely and I’d serve it with a side salad.)
- Bake for 5 minutes, or until the crust is a light golden brown.
- Take the crust out of the oven and start adding the Pizza toppings. First, cover the dough with BBQ Sauce, then layer the Chicken, Onion, Jalapeno’s and Mozzarella.
- Place back in the oven for 10-12 minutes longer, or until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- Garnish with fresh Cilantro, Red Pepper Flakes and Dried Oregano. Serve with Parmesan Cheese.
Barbecue Chicken Baked Ziti
A stress-free, make-ahead, meal that reheats nicely and tastes phenomenal. It’s cheesy, gooey and simply decadent. Easy-Peasy Baked Spa-Zi-Tee.
- 3 cups Chicken, shredded
- 12 oz Ziti (or whatever pasta you prefer)
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/3 cup Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella (or cheese of your choice)
- 3/4 cup Blue Cheese Dressing or Ranch
- 1/4 cup Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, chopped
- 3 sticks Celery, chopped
- 2 Carrots, shredded or chopped
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Olive oil (for sautéing)
- Green Onions (optional – for garnish)
- In a large skillet, sauté Onion, Celery and Carrots in a little Olive Oil over medium heat. Add Garlic clove last minute of sautéing.
- Add Cream Cheese, Barbecue Sauce and Chicken Broth to the skillet. Whisk until cheese has melted down and it has turned into a creamy sauce.
- Add Paprika, Garlic Powder and Blue Cheese dressing, stir to combine.
- Add Shredded Chicken and allow sauce to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook Ziti according to package directions. Drain and add to skillet. Toss everything until combined.
- Pour half of the pasta mixture into a greased casserole dish. Top with 1/2 cup of Mozzarella. Pour remaining pasta mixture on top of that and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, covered, in a 425 degrees oven for 15 minutes. Take foil off and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until Mozzarella is bubbly and browning.
- Serve with Green Onions as a garnish.