This homemade caramel sauce is so thick and creamy, you’ll never buy store-bought again. Warning: it’s incredibly easy to make and highly addicting.
I’m not a baker… and I typically sway towards savory dishes over sweet.
However, every year around the holidays I get an itch for cookin’ some lovin’ in the oven. I’m not quite sure what it is… perhaps it’s the twinkle of lights in our living room, or family visiting from out of town? Whatever the cause may be… my husband and toddler never complain. Sweets for everyone!
I can’t express how simple this decadent caramel sauce is to make.
No joke: throw it all in a saucepan and stir while it simmers. That’s it! In the end you’re left with smooth, creamy and utterly scrumptious caramel. Ahhhh…. Swooooon. We’ve got the good stuff, right here.
- 1 cup Brown Sugar, packed
- ½ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 4 Tbsp. Salted Butter
- Just a dash of Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract, optional
- Mix first four ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook for 6 minutes, stirring constantly, until everything has melted together and has slightly thickened.
- Optional: Add vanilla and cook for an additional minute.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 20 minutes in the saucepan before transferring to a jar with lid. Keep refrigerated, lid on, until ready to use.
- I highly recommend warming up the caramel sauce before using. It’s drizzly and delicious.
- Serve over ice cream, drizzle over an iced coffee or use it to enhance sweet treats. Eat it by the spoonful for all we care, no judgement here.
Try using this sweet sauce over my Apple Crisp Squares with Sweet Potato Shortbread Crust! Drooling.
I love learning how to make easy kitchen staples like this. Thanks for sharing!
It’s so easy to make, and everyone in our house LOVES it. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!