Tis the season for cocktails. If you’re celebrating the holidays at home, mix things up with our easy Blackberry Whiskey Smash!
Ok friends, I am waaaay too excited about the holidays this year.
We woke up to 8+ inches of snow over the weekend, which gave us the perfect excuse to build a gingerbread house, make hot cocoa and craft a castle out of the couch cushions with our toddler. I absolutely love the fact that we now have an excuse to act like a kid again… but boy, it’s pretty tiring. By the end of each evening, all I really looked forward to was an adult beverage.
Fresh blackberries were on sale for 99-cents per clamshell at our local grocery store last week, so I stocked up. I also had an abundance of fresh mint on hand, so making a cocktail that incorporated both was the only logical thing to do.
I’d like to think that this beautiful beverage is a SMASH between a Mint Julep and a Mojito.
I considered calling this The Whiskey Lover’s Mojito, but I thought it sounded too summer-y. Right?
I just love playing around with different cocktail recipes… especially when I have everything on hand to incorporate fresh fruit and herbs. This recipe would work beautifully as a large-batch punch for your upcoming family gatherings or New Years celebrations as well. You can double, triple or even 10x the recipe below! Just make sure to serve the ice separately so it doesn’t dilute the batch.
- Brown Sugar, rim garnish (optional)
- 4-5 Fresh Blackberries, muddled
- 2-3 Fresh Mint Leaves, muddled + more for garnish
- 2 Lemon Wedges, 1 squeezed + 1 for garnish
- 2 ounces Whiskey
- ¾ ounce Simple Syrup
- 2-3 ounces of Club soda, or as needed
- Rim a mason jar with brown sugar: Simply dip the rim in fresh lime juice and then in brown sugar.
- Smash the fruit and herbs: Place blackberries and mint in the bottom of the cup and muddle until smashed. Squeeze-in one lemon wedge to add a hint of citrus.
- Add liquids: Fill cup with desired amount of ice. Pour in your whiskey of choice and simple syrup. Then fill to the brim with club soda.
- Decorate: Garnish with fresh blackberries, lemon wedge, fresh mint and a festive straw. Stir and enjoy.
Cheers. For more holiday inspo, check out these other recipes!
PIN THIS FOR LATER: