Brunch isn’t complete unless you’ve got a glorious waffle sandwich on the menu! We’re serving ours on a Sage and Cheddar version… so grand!
Bust out your waffle maker and whip up a batch of savory goodness in a matter of minutes! These pillows of toasty goodness taste amazing on their own (or dipped into my Chicken Sausage Chili), however, I also recommend piling them high with your favorite sandwich ingredients! Want more waffle inspo? Make sure to check out my BuzzWorthy Coffee-Infused Homemade Waffles and my Egg Salad Waffle Sandwich.
TIPS FOR MAKING A WAFFLE SANDWICH:
Here are a few tidbits you might want to know when prepping!
- Before cooking, heat your oven to 200F and place a baking sheet with a wire rack inside. Placing the waffles in the oven in-between each batch keeps them warm. I find that they become crispy on the outside while remaining moist and fluffy in the center.
- Cornbread mix does wonders in the waffle maker. Simply combine the cornbread mix, eggs, milk and vegetable oil together in a large bowl. Next you’ll fold-in the shredded cheddar, fresh sage, chives and continue to mix until batter forms.
- Always, I mean, always shred your own cheese for this recipe. Pre-shredded cheeses do not melt the same as freshly grated.
Once the waffles are cooked, I take them out of the oven and crank up the heat to 400F. Then I pile my choice of ingredients (today’s blog is ham + provolone) on one side, cover with another waffle and bake until the cheese has melted. Sometimes I’ll add fresh produce after the waffle sandwich has baked (a few favorites include tomatoes, lettuce and avocado slices).
OTHER SANDWICHES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
MORE SAVORY WAFFLE IDEAS:
If you want to spruce things up, why not give the following a try! When you discover a combination that you love, be sure to leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram so I can check it out for myself!
- Add some extra protein with eggs! (A few of my favorites include Fried Eggs, Jammy Hard Boiled, Deviled Eggs or even Baked in an Avocado.)
- Substitute the bread in your Avocado Toast for Waffles. Mmmmm.
- A dollop of Bacon Jam is never a bad idea! Oh man, so good.
- Bruschetta is a great option during the summer.
- I love this Sweet and Spicy Balsamic Blistered Tomatoes with Burratta. Spread some on top of the cooked waffles and enjoy.
- 1 (7.5 oz. box) Cornbread Muffin Mix
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Milk
- ⅓ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1.5 cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar
- 2 tbsp. Freshly Chopped Sage
- ½ cup Freshly Chopped Chives + more for garnish
- Mayonnaise, as needed
- 2 - 4 Slices of Ham per sandwich
- 2 Slices of Provolone per sandwich
- Sliced Tomatoes (optional)
- Sliced Avocado (optional)
- Combine all cornbread batter ingredients in a large bowl. Fold-in the cheddar, fresh sage and chives and continue to mix until batter forms.
- Preheat waffle iron and lightly grease with butter or cooking spray. Ladle batter onto hot waffle iron and cook until golden brown, roughly 3 minutes.
- When you’re ready to assemble, slather two waffles with mayo (+ horseradish, if desired) and layer with two slices of ham and two slices of provolone.
- Preheat oven to 400F and then pop the waffle-which into the oven on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese has melted. Enjoy immediately.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- I like utilizing cornbread mix for this recipe, as it’s really tasty and super easy to whip together. Depending on your cornbread mix of choice, the cornbread batter ingredients may vary.
- Keep this recipe around for the holidays… these waffles make AWESOME leftover turkey sandwiches.
- Not a fan of sage? No problem! Substitute it with whatever herb you enjoy most.
This recipe and all photography was developed exclusively for That’s Tasty. If you’d like to learn more about my recipe development for food and beverage brands, please check out my Recipe Development and Photography tabs for more details. Want to work together? Shoot me an email!
PIN THIS FOR LATER: