Do you ever find yourself craving pizza in the AM? Try stuffing your breakfast sandwich with pepperoni, fresh mozzarella and herbs. So good!
WATCH ME MAKE THIS ON THE GRAM
I have no doubt in my mind that sandwiches are one of my favorite foods. I just love them. They’re really easy to throw together and oh-so-satisfying. I honestly will hoover them down for breakfast, lunch or dinner… they’re the ultimate comfort meal! If you agree, other recipes you might like include my Air Fryer Nashville Hot Chicken, Brunch Style Banh Mi and my Deviled Egg Salad Sandwiches with Miso.
WATCH MY LATEST VIDEOS:
INGREDIENTS FOR A PEPPERONI PIZZA BREAKFAST SANDWICH:
Per the usual, this recipe is completely customizable. Want to add some greens? Sprinkle in some arugula or spinach. Don’t have fresh mozzarella on hand? Swap with another melty favorite. Below are the base ingredients I used, but don’t be afraid to get creative! (Oh, and tag me on Instagram so I can follow along!) 😉
- BREAD: I took things over-the-top in today’s recipe by swapping regular slices with two pieces of cheesy Texas toast. Feel free to use whatever bread you have on hand or enjoy most.
- CHEESE: I used a mix of sharp cheddar, white cheddar and fresh mozzarella. The trifecta of flavors are simply amazing. Similar to my Lusty Reuben Sandwich, I created a “cheese blanket” on the exterior for extra yummies.
- EGGS: A minimum of two eggs are required to be able to fold the sides up and seal the interior ingredients in the middle. Whisk them in a separate bowl with shredded cheddar and herbs before pouring into a buttered skillet.
- PEPPERONI: With two young boys, we pretty much always have this ingredient in our fridge. We use it in Italian Stuffed Stromboli, on Puff Pastry Pizzas and even this Supreme Pizza Spaghetti Casserole.
- PIZZA SAUCE: This isn’t a required ingredient, but I think it adds a nice touch. I slather the inside of the Texas toast with this, as it adds a tasty additional layer of flavor.
- FRESH HERBS: Always a good idea, as it adds a pop of freshness to this hearty AM pick-me-up.
BROWSE ALL MY BREAKFAST & BRUNCH RECIPES HERE
- 2 Slices of Texas Toast or Bread of Choice
- 1 tbsp. Mayonnaise
- 2 Eggs, whisked
- ½ cup Sharp Cheddar, shredded
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- ½ cup White Cheddar, shredded
- 6 Pepperoni Slices
- 5 Fresh Mozzarella Slices
- 2 tbsp. Pizza or Marinara Sauce
- Minced Italian Parsley, as needed
- Bake the Texas toast according to packaged directions. After toasted & cooled, slather the non-cheesy side with mayonnaise. If using regular bread, skip the toasting and smear one side of each slice with mayonnaise. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs together in a bowl with sharp cheddar cheese and a sprinkle of minced parsley. Melt butter in a medium heat skillet and then pour over the egg and cheddar mixture. Using a spatula, gently fold back the sides and tilt skillet to expose the runny part of the eggs to heat.
- Once eggs are mostly cooked, place the pepperoni and 3 slices of fresh mozzarella in the middle. Fold up the sides to create an "egg pocket". Flip to seal and continue to cook until interior mozzarella has melted, about 2 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add white cheddar to the skillet. Place bread, mayonnaise side down, onto the melting cheese. Spread pizza sauce on the interior sides of the bread. Add 2 additional slices of fresh mozzarella on the left side piece of bread. Then, place the "egg pocket" on top of the mozzarella.
- Once the white cheddar has begun to brown and sticks to the exterior of the bread, gently flip the right side over the left side... creating a "cheese blanket". Continue to fry on one side to melt the two slices of mozzarella, then flip, and cook for a minute or two on the other side.
- Cut in half, sprinkle with minced parsley and enjoy immediately.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- Is the “cheese blanket” necessary? Well, no. But man-oh-man does it make for a tasty, crusty exterior. If you’d like to skip this step, simply follow the directions through step three and then place the “egg pocket” in-between two slices of bread. You could alternative place it inside a wrap or tortilla if that’s what you’re craving.
- I like to use Duke’s Mayonnaise on the exterior of my grilled sandwiches in sans of butter. It creates a perfectly golden color and crust. Trust me, once you try it you’ll never go back.
- Not a fan of pepperoni pizza? No problem! You can fill the “egg pocket” with ham & cheddar, bacon & Monterey Jack, ground sausage & gouda… whatever your little heart desires.
OTHER BREAKFAST RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Jalapeño Popper Savory Oatmeal with Maple Bacon
Plantain Chilaquiles with Fried Eggs
PIN THIS FOR LATER:
Leave a Reply