This brunch-style Banh Mi Sandwich is simply amazing. A soft baguette piled high with seasoned pork, pickled veggies, a fried egg, avocado, bacon and herbs! Could there be a more delicious combination? Gimme.
This post is in partnership with Happy Egg Co. All opinions are my own.
I first discovered this classic Vietnamese handheld while we were living in San Francisco.
At first bite, I knew it would quickly climb the charts and land as a top contender on my all-time-favorite-sandwich list. Don’t you have a favorite sandwich list? No? Just me? (awkward silence…)
With the recent developments on COVID-19, many of ya’ll (including myself) have been social distancing themselves from others. I’m a sucker for grabbing Sunday brunch with my girlfriends… but until everything has blown over, I plan to enjoy those festivities here in my own kitchen. This recipe is perfect for noshing on while doing a FaceTime call with your bestie.
For a traditional Banh Mi Sandwich… you’ll start with a nice, soft baguette.
Some specialty stores will sell actual Banh Mi bread, but if you can’t find it you can easily substitute with a hoagie or French roll. I personally like to toast mine, but that’s totally your call. Some would say that’s against the rules, but I guess I’m a risk taker.
There are several choices when it comes to which meat you’d like to use. I think this dish tastes best with seasoned ground pork or chicken, but other options include sliced beef, pork sausage, liver pate… the list is limitless, really. So… I would recommend using whatever meat you enjoy most. I’ve even made this with a grilled chicken breast before and it turned out great. You can grab that recipe here.
What takes this brunch version over the moon is the addition of bacon, avocado and a glorious sunny-fried egg.
I’m super excited to partner with Happy Egg Co. for this recipe, they truly care about their free range hens. They go above and beyond to ensure their hens are happy, healthy and loving life as free birds on over 8 acres of pasture. You can really taste the difference; I promise you that. They #AlwaysChoseHappy, and I do too.
Other ingredients for this lip-smacking sub include pickled veggies (cucumber, radish, bell pepper), fresh herbs and jalapeño slices. I realize some of you out there do not like cilantro (GASP!). For today’s recipe I used a mix of cilantro, mint and basil. So… if you’re not a fan of cilantro you can simply omit it.
I promise not to tell anyone. 😉
- 1 tsp. Peanut Oil
- 1 lb. Ground Pork or Chicken
- 2 Scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. Sriracha
- 1 tbsp. Fish Sauce
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- Juice of ½ lime
- Zest of 1 Lime
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
- 4 Banh Mi or French Rolls, sliced in half
- Mayonnaise, as needed
- 4 Free Range Happy Eggs
- 8 Bacon Slices, cooked
- Pickled Vegetables (Carrots, Cucumbers, Daikon Radish, Bell Peppers)
- Fresh Jalapeños
- Avocado Slices
- Cilantro Stems + Leaves
- Mint Leaves
- Basil Leaves
- Lime Wedges
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place bacon on an oven-safe cookie rack on top of a cookie sheet, making sure to not overlap. Bake for 20 minutes, or until crisp.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground meat, scallions, garlic and then sauté until fully cooked. About 10 minutes.
- Whisk together the Sriracha, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice and zest in a small bowl. Add to browned meat and stir to combine. Turn off heat and add salt + pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Cook eggs in a large skillet over medium heat. I personally like mine sunny-side-up for this recipe, but feel free to cook the eggs to your preference.
- To assemble the sandwiches: slather each inner side of the bread rolls with mayonnaise. Then layer with bacon, ground meat, and top each one with an egg, pickled vegetables, jalapeños, avocado, cilantro, mint leaves, basil leaves and serve with lime wedges.
This post is sponsored by Happy Egg Co. Per the usual, all opinions here are mine alone and I would never recommend an ingredient that I did not immensely enjoy myself. Thank you for supporting the brands that support SliceOfJess.com! #AlwaysChooseHappy
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
PIN THIS FOR LATER: