A classic Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe is something every home cook should know how to make. Simple, elegant and oh-so-satisfying.
When it comes to egg salad, this is my go-to recipe. Depending on my mood, I’ll sometimes jazz it up with other things like pickles, chopped bacon, other herbs or sliced peppers. However, this base recipe is pretty solid and it’s perfectly delicious just the way it is.
For starters, you’ll need to boil your eggs properly.
The easiest way to do this is to place the eggs in the bottom of your saucepan and cover them with cold water. Make sure to have at least an inch of water above the eggs. I like to add a pinch of salt and a splash of white vinegar to my water, as it helps with the peeling process. Bring the water to a boil, cover, and turn off the stove. Allow the eggs to sit for 10 – 12 minutes, drain and place them in an ice bath to stop the cooking process. I find that this method works flawlessly, every time. The end result is perfect for egg salads: tender whites on the outside with fluffy yolks in the center.
Once the eggs have been peeled, I separate the yolks from the whites. Since egg salad is suppose to be a little chunky, I mix all the “wet ingredients” with the yolks before I fold in the roughly chopped egg whites. I add celery for a bit of crunch, fresh dill for aromatics and green onions with jalapeño for some extra zip.
OTHER EGG RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- 8 Eggs
- 4 tbsp. Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- Dash of Garlic Powder
- ½ rib Celery, finely diced
- 1 tbsp. Chopped Green Onions (2 spears)
- ½ Jalapeño, seeded & chopped
- 1 tsp. Chopped Dill
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
- 8 Toasted Waffles (or bread of choice)
- Lettuce, as needed
- Mayonnaise, if preferred
- Add eggs to a saucepan and fill with cold water. Bring to a boil, cover and immediately turn off the heat. Allow eggs to cook for 10 - 12 minutes.
- Take the eggs out of the water and place them in an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Peel eggs and cut them in half. Separate the egg yolks and mix them with mayonnaise, dijon mustard, smoked paprika, and garlic powder.
- Roughly chop the egg whites, jalapeño, celery, green onions and dill. Fold into the yolk mixture. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve egg salad on your favorite waffles or sliced bread with lettuce and additional mayonnaise, if preferred.
NOTES ON THIS EGG SALAD SANDWICH RECIPE:
- I absolutely love the sweet & savory combo of using waffles as my bread this the sandwich. I definitely recommend it. However, if you’d rather use your favorite sliced bread… go for it! 🙂
- Don’t mash the egg yolks when mixing with the mayonnaise, dijon and spices. Chunks are good!
- Leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator, covered, and consumed within two days.
MORE SANDWICH RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
PIN THIS FOR LATER: