Not kidding… I enjoy this creamy mushroom sauce on its own, with bread, over steak, chicken, veggies… it’s THAT freaking grand!
True story, I wasn’t a fan of mushrooms until I was pregnant with my second son and I seriously couldn’t get enough of them. Weird how your tastebuds change when you’re pregnant. After the fact, I still really enjoy them and it’s been nice to have a plant-based protein source at dinner (my hubby is 100% carnivore). To be honest… I’ve currently utilized this as a sauce primarily over meats. Other sauces that might tickle your fancy include my 10-minute Roasted Red Cream Sauce (great on chicken or seafood), our Family Chimichurri Recipe, and my Famous Tangy Alabama White Sauce!
HERE’S EVERYTHING YOU’LL NEED:
I pretty much always have these staples on hand. In fact, I make this recipe at least once a week and don’t even have to add the items to my grocery list. Ahem… yaaaaas! I can make it on a whim and our tastebuds swoon every time.
- Baby Bella Mushrooms
- Unsalted Butter
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Cloves
- Chicken Broth
- Dry Red Wine
- Sherry Vinegar
- Heavy Cream
- Dried Thyme
- Dijon Mustard
WHAT TYPE OF MUSHROOMS DO YOU USE?
I’m a huge fan of Baby Bellas (also known as Cremini), but you can honestly use any kind of white or brown mushroom you have on hand. Larger mushrooms will need to be cut into slices, but they taste just as tasty! Feel free to explore Shiitake, Oyster, Porcini, Morels (oooh man, if you can snag some… get them!), Chanterells, White Button, or whatever you enjoy most.
SHERRY VINEGAR OR SHERRY COOKING WINE?
Sherry Vinegar is tangy, acidic and adds an absolutely crave-worthy flavor to this recipe. Seriously, one taste of the final sauce and you’ll be hooked! Sherry wine is much sweeter than the vinegar, so I do not recommend substituting it here. If you can’t find sherry vinegar at your local market, you can purchase my favorite one on Amazon.
OTHER DINNER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
Cobb Salad Grilled Chicken Sandwich (add the mushrooms!)
- 2 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 12 oz. Baby Bellas, sliced
- 1 Shallot, minced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- ½ cup Dry Red Wine
- ½ cup Chicken or Veggie Stock
- ¼ cup Sherry Vinegar
- ¼ tsp. Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp. Dijon Mustard
- ⅔ cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tbsp. Cornstarch + 1 tbsp. Water, mixed together
- Salt + Pepper, to taste (optional)
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter and the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once melted and bubbly, ad the sliced mushrooms and cook until browned. Then add the sliced shallots and continue cooking until softened. Next, add the garlic and sauté until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Pour the wine into the pan and make sure to scrape the bits from the bottom while deglazing. Pour in the sherry vinegar, stock, dried thyme, and dijon mustard. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Next you'll drizzle in the heavy cream and cornstarch mixture.
- Simmer for another 5 - 6 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- Serve immediately over your preferred protein, veggies or served on its own with bread.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- If you’ve been on my website in the past, you are well aware that I like mixing butter and olive oil for cooking. You can use one or the other, but the flavor combo ob both is seriously delish.
- We served this with grilled steak, so that’s why I used red wine. However, if you’re serving over chicken or seafood, substituting the red for white wine is a yummy idea. I also swap the heavy cream for cream cheese when using white wine. You can get that recipe here.
- Want to simplify this recipe? When I’m in a rush, I sauté the mushrooms in the mix of butter and olive oil until browned, add vinegar to deglaze, cream, garlic and simmer for 5 minutes. It won’t be as thick, but still huge on flavor.
- Make sure to serve this with fresh herbs, grated parmesan, and piping hot!