This leftover turkey sandwich is so famous, there’s a whole episode of Friends dedicated to its glory. Get ready for some gravy-soaked deliciousness here.
During my high school days, my dad and I would watch Friends together on the couch after dinner a few nights per week. He worked long hours, so this time served as our father-daughter time. Even now as an adult, I always think of him every time there’s a rerun on TV.
I’ve been making this leftover turkey sandwich ever since I could remember.
It’s from one of my favorite Friends episodes and I’m quite shocked it took me so long to add this masterpiece to my blog.
“Yeah, yeah. You see, my sister makes these amazing turkey sandwiches. Her secret is, she puts a… an extra slice of gravy-soaked bread in the middle; I call it the Moist Maker”, expressed Ross.
So what exactly goes into “the only good thing going on” in Ross’ life?
This stack of deliciousness, which is actually an invention by Monica, involves all the usual leftover components. It’s actually incredibly easy to make… and you can substitute with whatever you have on hand. The only MUST is the gravy-soaked piece of bread in the middle. Otherwise, it’s not an official Ross Gellar special.
- 3 Slices of Bread
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise (optional)
- ¼ cup Collard Greens
- 2-3 thick slices of leftover Turkey
- 3 tbsp. Cranberry Compote
- 1 cup Turkey Gravy
- ¼ cup Mashed Potatoes
- ½ cup Cornbread Stuffing
- Submerge one piece of bread in gravy to make the "moist maker". Optional: Smear mayonnaise on the inner side of the other two slices of bread.
- Put the bottom piece of bread on a plate and top with collard greens, turkey and cranberry compote.
- Place the "moist maker" on top of the cranberry compote and then pile high with mashed potatoes and stuffing.
- Add the third piece of bread, mayo side down, on top to complete the stack. If you have one, use a sandwich pick to hold it all together.
- Enjoy immediately.