Filled with cheesy layers of goodness, this homemade Stromboli is guaranteed to be a family favorite! Quick, easy and utterly addicting!
I have no problem professing my adoration for any spin on pizza. I could easily start the day with this Breakfast ‘Zaa and enjoy Pepperoni Pizza Garlic Knots for lunch. Then there’s no way better dinner than my Supreme Pizza Cornbread Casserole dunked into Tomato Soup. I’m a firm believer that there’s a pizza for every occasion.
I posted this Italian Stuffed Stromboli on the blog last week and it has been widely popular. To appeal to the masses I wanted to make a spin-off recipe… and here we are! I had some leftover ham from the previous post so I figured Ham and White Cheddar Stromboli would be a winner. I also smeared the inside with a dijon-mayo mixture so it would taste similar to a warmed, toasty sandwich. Ya’ll know how much I love sandwiches (Psst: I talk about my obsession on this podcast).
I kept this homemade Stromboli pretty simple, as it really doesn’t need any extra fancy-frills to achieve maximum yummies. I used this store-bought dough, which has proven to turn out perfect every-single-time. I’ve read some recipes where the dough in the middle doesn’t cook… but rest assured this one does.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH STROMBOLI:
This recipe is a great appetizer for game day, family gatherings or wine night with the girls. However, if you want to make this into a full meal I suggest serving with the following soups or salads.
- 5-Ingredient Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
- California Inspired Chickpea Avocado Salad
- Roasted Beet Salad with Coffee Balsamic Reduction
- Autumn Cobb Salad with Dill-Dijon Vinaigrette (VIDEO)
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup
What are your favorite side dishes for Stromboli? If you make this recipe, tag and let me know on Instagram so I can follow along!
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 lb Refrigerator Pizza Dough
- 16 slices Black Forrest Ham
- 2 cups Shredded Cheese (I used White Cheddar)
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Parsley, optional garnish
- 1 tbsp. Red Pepper Flakes, optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Shred cheese and set aside.
- Roll pizza dough out into a rectangle onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise and dijon mustard.
- Sprinkle 1 cup shredded cheese onto the dough, leaving a ½ inch ledge around the top and two sides. Layer with ham and then the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and brush the three exposed edges of the dough.
- Starting with the long edge that does not have the egg wash, gently roll up the dough into the shape of a log. Make sure the Stromboli has the seam-side facing down and tuck the edges under to seal.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of melted butter along with the garlic powder and parmesan cheese in a small bowl. Brush the exterior of the Stromboli, covering all three exposed sides.
- Using a serrated knife, make shallow diagonal cuts along the top of the Stromboli, about every 2 inches.
- Bake for 30 minutes and allow the Stromboli to cool for at least 5 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with optional fresh parsley and red pepper flakes. Serve warm.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- Pretty much any cheese works in this recipe. I used white cheddar because it’s what I had on hand. Mozzarella, Colby Jack or even slices of brie would taste fantastic here. Get creative!
- You can totally layer this with pizza sauce if you want the more traditional flavor. Better yet, serve the warmed tomato sauce on the side + other sauces so you have a variety to choose from (Alfredo, basil-garlic olive oil, etc.).
- Stromboli tastes best straight from the oven, but if you need to reheat simply place the slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 375F for 10 – 15 minutes.
PIN THIS FOR LATER: