Keep cozy this fall with a heaping bowl of our Tomato Basil Soup! It’s easy to make, tastes delish, and you probably already have most the ingredients on hand.
When the cooler weather arrives, all I crave for dinner is a big bowl of scratch-made soup. The classic combo of tomato and grilled cheese was one of my favorites while growing up… so obviously I had to master this comforting recipe as an adult.
I absolutely love using my crockpot for homemade soups. We’re just getting back into the swing of things since starting school again, so I’m a little obsessed with recipes I can just throw together and then forget while it cooks.
HOW TO MAKE TOMATO BASIL SOUP:
First, we start with sautéing half of a sweet yellow onion in a bit of melted butter. Is this step necessary? Well, no. But my family loves the extra layer of flavor this brings to the final bowl of goodness. Next you’ll scrape this onions into the crockpot and pour over some vegetable broth, canned tomatoes, fresh basil, oregano, thyme, garlic and seasonings. Turn that sucker on high, cover and allow the ingredients to cook for 4 hours. When finished, simply use an immersion blender to smooth everything out to the velvety soup of your dreams.
TOMATO BASIL SOUP TOPPINGS:
We love adding a little bit of pizazz to the top of our heaping bowls of warmth. Below are a few things that my family enjoys.
- Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, cut into “croutons”.
- Shredded Cheese: Mozzarella, Cheddar, Pepper Jack, Parmesan.
- A drizzle of warm cream to add a layer of creaminess.
- Additional fresh herbs… because they taste good and make it pretty.
- ½ Sweet Yellow Onion, chopped
- 5 Tbsp. Salted Butter
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth
- 30 ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
- 30 ounce can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup Fresh Basil Leaves
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Oregano Leaves
- 2 tsp. Fresh Thyme
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- ¼ tsp. White Pepper
- Start by sautéing half of a sweet yellow onion with one tablespoon of butter. Once browned and caramelized, scrape into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add remaining butter and all other ingredients into the bowl. Stir until combined.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for up to 8 hours.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully blend soup until smooth. Serve immediately with desired toppings.
PIN THIS FOR LATER: