These cheesy gems are a cross between a traditional garlic knots recipe and pepperoni pizza. Simple prep, easy clean-up and picky eater approved!
With a two and five-year-old in the house, pizza is on our dinner menu a couple of times a week. This recipe is actually a great option if your kids want to get involved in cooking. Pull up a chair to the counter and let them get a little messy. They’ll love it, I promise.
You’ll need just a few ingredients to make the basic recipe:
- 2 cans Crescent French Bread Dough (you could also use pizza dough)
- Melted Butter + Parsley + Garlic
- Fresh Mozzarella
Just six ingredients…. whaaaaaa? You don’t need much here to make your belly happy.
First, you’ll cut the dough into 6 equal sized pieces. Do this with both cans, ending in 12 rolls. I like using Crescent French Bread Dough but you could alternatively use your favorite pizza dough or make your own. Use whatever you enjoy most.
To give these bad boys a garlic knots recipe twist:
I slather the inside of each roll with a mix of butter, parsley and garlic. You could also add parmesan if your heart desires. This is completely optional (but recommended)… you could easily swap this for marinara or pesto as well.
Next, you’ll add the filling. We opted for traditional pepperoni and mozzarella but don’t be afraid to explore your options!
FOR PICKY EATERS:
- Try adding some finely shredded bell peppers or carrots – I bet they won’t even notice!
- My kids love breakfast foods, so you could fill these with eggs, bacon and cheddar.
FOR ADULT TASTE BUDS:
- The hubs is a big fan of Canadian bacon and pineapple. We use mozzarella here as well.
- Want to go vegetarian? Use sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions and Swiss cheese!
Once you’ve filled each roll, fold them together and press the edges together until the dough has sealed. Pop them into a 350F oven for 26 – 30 minutes and poof… that’s it! I had some extra toppings leftover, so I set them on top. Not a mandatory step, I just hate letting anything go to waste. 😉
OTHER PIZZA RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
Barbecue B.L.T. Flatbread Pizza
Supreme Spaghetti Pizza Casserole
How To Make Pizza With Puff Pastry Sheets
- 4 tbsp. Butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. Chopped Parsley
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 (11 ounce) Crescent French Bread Dough
- 24 Pepperoni Slices
- 8 ounces Fresh Mozzarella
- Flour, as needed for rolling
- Marinara, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt butter in a saucepan or microwave safe bowl. Once melted, add chopped parsley and minced garlic. Set aside.
- Cut each French Bread Dough into 6 equal sized pieces. You will end with 12 rolls after cutting both dough rolls.
- One by one, roll each ball flat. To prevent sticking, you'll want to sprinkle your cutting board and rolling pin with flour. Brush the interior of the roll with butter, then top with pepperoni and mozzarella.
- Fold together and pinch sides until sealed. Place steam-side down on a prepared cookie sheet. Brush with additional garlic parsley butter and bake for 26 - 30 minutes, or until slightly browning on the outside.
- Enjoy with marinara or your favorite dipping sauce.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- If you’d like yours to look exactly like mine, you will need 12 extra slices of pepperoni and 12 additional chunks of fresh mozzarella. Once assembled, place 1 piece of each on top of the rolls.
- I cooked mine on parchment paper, which is non-stick. If you happen to cook yours on aluminum you will need to use cooking spray or melted butter so they don’t stick on the bottom.
- To make them pretty, I sprinkled mine with additional fresh parsley and red pepper flakes. Tasty, too!
PIN THIS FOR LATER:
Leave a Reply