Use up all those pantry staples with this hearty Cornbread Casserole. Easy to assemble, packed with your favorite pizza toppings, fluffy and flavorful! Your kids are going to love this cheesy spin on a classic side dish.
This post is in partnership with Happy Egg Co. All opinions are my own.
Hello friends! How are you doing today? Are you keeping your kiddo’s entertained while they’re out of school? I’m always looking for an excuse to get our oldest son in the kitchen… and this ooey-gooey cornbread casserole is just the trick! This recipe is fully customizable, so feel free to add whatever pizza toppings you enjoy most.
Today we’re using sautéed mushrooms, bell peppers and onions along with ground sausage, pepperoni and Monterey Jack cheese. The secret to creating super moist cornbread is to add a can of cream corn and sour cream. Trust me on this one, you’ll never bite into a crumbly, dry piece of cornbread ever again. You’ll also need a few eggs to hold everything together. Happy Egg Organic Free Range Eggs provide you with farmer’s market quality at your kitchen table, helping you to #AlwaysChooseHappy.
Use this recipe as a mid-day activity to do with the whole family.
My kids love folding all the ingredients together and then we serve it with pizza sauce for dipping. I love how this recipe makes several meals for my little ones. Leftovers keep nicely in the refrigerator and they’re honestly delish served reheated or cold. When making an adult version, I like to add freshly chopped jalapeño, a dash of smoked paprika and then sprinkle the finished dish with fresh cilantro. The flavor opportunities are endless, so don’t be scared get creative!
- ½ lb. Ground Sausage
- 6 ounces Mushrooms
- ½ Onion, chopped
- ½ Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 (8.5 ounce) boxes cornbread mix
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 16 ounces reduced-fat sour cream
- ½ cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 (14.75 ounce) can cream-style corn
- A heaping ¼ cup Pepperoni, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack
- Pizza Sauce, optional for dipping
- Place a large cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat to 350F.
- While the oven heats up, sauté the ground sausage in a large skillet until fully cooked and crumbly. Remove the crumbles with a slotted spoon and set aside in a bowl. Add mushrooms, onion and bell pepper to the skillet. There should be enough oil leftover from the sausage to cook the veggies in.
- Next you'll beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the cornbread mix, melted butter, sour cream, corn kernels, cream-style corn, pepperoni and mix until well combined.
- Remove cast iron skillet with oven mitts. Run a tab of butter around the inner part of the skillet. Carefully pour the cornbread mixture into the pan and sprinkle the top with cheese. Bake for 50 minutes, or until you can place a fork in the middle and it comes out clean. Rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
NOTES ON PIZZA CORNBREAD CASSEROLE:
- My family and I usually split this recipe up into two batches. One for the kids, one for the adults. This way, everyone can choose the pizza toppings that they enjoy most.
- Did you dump the cheese into the large bowl with the other ingredients? That’s ok… I get sidetracked sometimes and do that too. The cheese on the top is for presentation. It’ll taste just as good if you mix the cheese into the batter.
- Want some easy side dishes to serve this with? Go ahead and try my BLT Pasta Salad, Tomato Basil Soup or Roasted Fingerling Potatoes.
This post is sponsored by Happy Eggs. Per the usual, all opinions here are mine alone and I would never recommend an ingredient that I did not immensely enjoy myself. Thank you for supporting the brands that support SliceOfJess.com! #AlwaysChooseHappy
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
PIN THIS FOR LATER: