This Crab Cake Sandwich takes everything we love about Maryland Style Crab Cakes and adds some fusion flare with Kimchi and Korean Chili Flakes. So delish!
I’ll be first to admit that I have a slight obsession with exotic spices and condiments. My pantry is chock-full of items from afar and I absolutely love featuring them in classic recipes. I’ve been using Mother-in-Law’s Kimchi for years, but recently discovered their Gochugaru Chile Pepper Flakes and simply can’t get enough. I sprinkle it on eggs, pasta, pizza and now it’s my favorite addition to crab cakes!
TIPS FOR MAKING THE ULTIMATE CRAB CAKE SANDWICH:
- When shopping for ingredients, make sure to grab jumbo lump crab meat for your crab cakes. It’s a little more expensive but definitely worth the investment. Sometimes I will do half and half with lump crab meat to save a little cash.
- Always use crackers when making crab cakes. I like Saltines the best, but buttery rounds or panko bread crumbs can get the job done as well.
- Toast your bread for a nice crunch, it really makes a difference.
- Get creative with your toppings! Try adding various herbs, pickles, capers, marinated vegetables or kimchi to take your sandwich to the next level.
THE RECIPE BELOW MAKES 8 CRAB CAKES, TRY MAKING THESE SANDWICHES FOR YOUR NEXT FAMILY GATHERING!
- ½ lb. Jumbo Lump Crab Meat
- ½ lb. Lump or Claw Crab Meat
- 1 cup Crushed Unsalted Saltine Crackers (about 21 crackers)
- 1 Large Egg
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 2-3 Dashes Tabasco Sauce
- 1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tbsp. Korean Chile Flakes
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ⅛ tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 tbsp. Minced Fresh Italian Parsley
- 2 tsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Zest (optional)
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil, for cooking
- Toasted Bread
- Fresh Cilantro
- Pepperoncini Tartar Sauce (recipe below)
- Spicy Pickled Cucumbers (recipe below)
- Lemon Wedges, optional garnish
- Combine crab meat and crushed crackers in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, mayonnaise, tobacco sauce, old bay, Korean chile flakes, Worcestershire, salt, Italian parsley, lemon juice and optional lemon zest.
- Fold the mayonnaise mixture into the crab meat and set the mix in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors blend.
- Once you'r ready to cook, divide the crab cake mixture into 8 patties. Be careful not to overwork the mixture (this will ensure you still have large clumps of crab meat).
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and heat. Test the oil with a tiny piece of crab cake mix. If it sizzles... the oil is ready.
- Once the oil is hot enough to sear the crab cakes, cook them for about 3 - 4 minutes per side. You know they are done when they are golden brown and hot in the center. Depending on the size of your skillet, you may have to work in batches.
- When finished, transfer crab cakes to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Assemble sandwiches immediately with kimchi, fresh cilantro, tartar, spicy pickled cucumbers and serve with optional lemon wedges.
- Store any leftover crab cakes in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
HELPFUL NOTES FOR THIS RECIPE:
- To whip up the Pepperoncini Tartar, simply mix the following ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl: 1.5 cups Mayo, 2 tbsp. Pepperoncini Juice, 4 Pepperoncini’s (minced), 2 Baby Dill Pickles (minced), 1 tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice, 2 tsp. Stone Ground Dijon, 1 tsp. Sugar, 1 tbsp minced Shallot, 1 tbsp. Fresh Chives, 1 tsp. Minced Parsley, Dash of Tabasco, Salt + Pepper (to taste).
- Want to add an extra layer of flavor? Try adding a clove of garlic, a squeeze of Dijon mustard or sesame seeds to the crab cake mixture. Feel free to use white, black, raw or toasted! Oh, and if you’re a big fan of heat… try mixing in some chili paste.
- To make the Spicy Pickled Cucumbers, you’ll need 1 large cucumber, 1 tbsp. Kosher salt, 1 tbsp. Gochugaru (Korean chile flakes), 1/2 tsp. Sugar, and 2 tbsp. Chopped Scallions. Cut the cucumber into half moon shapes and brine them with salt and set aside for 5 minutes. Rinse the cucumbers with water and pat them dry. Then mix cucumbers with remaining seasonings and enjoy!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
PIN THIS FOR LATER: