When it comes to creating extra crunch and flavor, go ahead and add apple in coleslaw. It’s a wonderful addition, giving it a sweet-savory vibe.
When it comes to upping your taco game, this jalapeño-spiked apple slaw is your answer! Other taco pick-me-ups you might enjoy include my Habanero-Garlic African Pepper Sauce, this Hatch Chili Mexican Street Corn Dip, or my Easy Queso for Entertaining!
INGREDIENTS FOR JALAPEÑO APPLE COLESLAW:
I love the mix of beautiful colors in this recipe. It’s perfect for entertaining, and makes enough to feed a crowd. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Pazazz Apple
- Greek Yogurt
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Shredded Green Cabbage
- Red Bell Pepper
- White Onion
I like to serve this as a build-your-own taco bar with flour tortillas, Pork Carnitas, and more fresh cilantro to garnish. If you’d like to add shredded cheese, sliced avocado, and lime wedges… those are all tasty additions as well.
WHY SHOULD YOU INCORPORATE APPLES INTO YOUR EVERYDAY RECIPES?
Apples truly are a “happy fruit”. They are filled with antioxidants that trigger neurotransmitters in the brain to release dopamine, which boosts your overall mood! Plus, I mean… they’re delicious! In addition to this recipe, we enjoy them on top of Brie Crostini’s as an app, with my Strawberry Spinach Salad as a starter, alongside Roasted Pork Loin and Potatoes as a main dish, and in these Apple Streusel Wontons as a dessert!
VARIATIONS & STORAGE:
This apple slaw is craaaazy versatile. Feel free to mix things up once in a while!
VEGGIES: Swapping the cabbage for thinly sliced fennel is incredibly delicious. You can also add sliced radish to spice things up a bit. Pickled beets would also be a yummy addition.
NUTS & SEEDS: I personally didn’t have any on hand when I made this recipe, but walnuts, pistachios, and pepitas all taste great and add an extra layer of flavor.
DRIED FRUIT: Both cranberries or chopped dried apricot work well in this recipe.
STORAGE: This will keep well for up to a day in advance, refrigerated and covered.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL SWOON FOR:
- 1 Pazazz Apple, thinly sliced
- 1 Jalapeno, chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, sliced thin
- ½ White Onion, sliced thin
- ⅓ cup Chopped Cilantro
- 2 cups Shredded Green Cabbage
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ tsp. Sugar
- Prep all the fruits and vegetables, then place them in a large serving bowl.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar and sugar. Pour over and toss to combine.
- Enjoy immediately. You can also keep this in the refrigerator, covered, for up to a day in advance.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- I prefer white onion in this recipe, but you can certainly substitute with red, green, or even a shallot.
- Apple cider vinegar tastes best, but you can also swap it out with white or red wine vinegar.
- Leftovers should be consumed within 1 – 2 days.
This post is sponsored in partnership with Honeybear Brands and can be purchased at Wegmans. Per the usual, all opinions here are mine alone and I would never recommend a product or ingredient that I did not immensely enjoy myself. Thank you for supporting the brands that support SliceOfJess.com!