This cold noodle salad is a refreshing, Vietnamese-inspired side dish filled with fresh veggies, herbs and a sweet ‘n spicy dressing. It’s great on it’s own for lunch… or you can pair it with grilled chicken for a healthy dinner.
Whenever I go out to this fusion sushi restaurant near our house, I always look forward to their cold noodle salad. It’s so flavorful and kinda addicting. I honestly enjoy it all-year-round. Here is my copycat version I made at home… and wowza, it turned out D-E-L-I-S-H! If you’re a fan of this type of recipe, make sure to check out my Ramen Noodle Salad with Chicken and Mandarin Oranges – another household fav! Italian-ish varieties you might like include my Everyday Pasta Salad and this BLT Version with Fresh Herb Dressing.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
Per the usual, this recipe is totally customizable. Feel free to add any protein of choice: shrimp, chicken and tofu are my favs. You can also swap out some of the current veggies for others that you enjoy noshing on. Go ahead and get creative!
FOR THE DRESSING:
- Soy Sauce
- Lime Juice
- Rice Vinegar
- Fresno Chile Pepper
FOR THE COLD NOODLE SALAD:
- Rice Noodles
- Fresh Herbs
- Fresno Chilies and/or Jalapeño
- Crushed Peanuts
This can be served cold or at room temperature. It’s a wonderful recipe to bring to family gatherings or potlucks.
Add or swap any of the following if you have them on hand! POOF, easy variation!
- Green Beans
- Bean Sprouts
- Shredded Lettuce or Cabbage
- Bell Peppers
- Raw Brussels Sprouts
- Zucchini or Squash
If I’m adding green beans I like to slice them in half, lengthwise. You can also buy raw Brussels sprouts already shredded at the store… a true time-saver!
MORE RECIPES YOU SHOULD TRY:
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp. Fresh Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp. Rice Vinegar
- ¼ cup Granulated Sugar
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Fresno Chile Pepper, thinly sliced
- 8.8 oz. Angel Hair Vermicelli Rice Noodles
- ½ English Cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Matchsticks Carrots
- 4 tbsp. Freshly Chopped Cilantro
- 3 tbsp. Freshly Chopped Mint
- 4 tbsp. Freshly Chopped Basil
- 2 tbsp. Thinly Sliced Scallions
- ¾ cup Crushed Honey Roasted Peanuts
- Lime Wedges, optional garnish
- Whisk together all ingredients for the dressing and set aside.
- Cook the vermicelli rice noodles according to packaged directions and then rinse with cold water.
- Prepare all veggies, herbs and crush the peanuts.
- Mix the dressing with the prepared vegetables and herbs in a large bowl. Garnish with crusted peanuts and lime wedges. Enjoy immediately or keep in the fridge for up to 2 hours. Serve cold or at room temp.
NOTES ON COLD NOODLE SALAD:
- The dressing can be made up to a day in advance. Just make sure to whisk again before adding to the salad, as the sugar will settle at the bottom.
- I do not recommend making the rice noodles and assembling the salad too far in advance… as they soak up the dressing and will eventually become soggy.
- I love the mix of cilantro, mint, basil, and scallions in this recipe. However, if you prefer a different herb… go for it! Lemon thyme would taste nicely here, and micro greens are never a bad idea!
PIN THIS FOR LATER: