This is absolutely the best avocado toast to add some oomph to your next tapas party. It looks fancy but it’s oh-so-easy to make!
Growing up in California, we’d eat avocados on the daily. So obviously, I’m obsessed with using them in all sorts of recipes as an adult! Creamy avocado on a toasted piece of bread is one of my obsessions; I honestly can nosh on it anytime of day: breakfast, lunch, or even a light dinner. Spruce it up with different toppings and you’ve got yourself a real treat. Honestly, it’s one of my favorite meals in general. Rachael Ray has even reposted a couple of my avocado-loving mash-ups, including this Fig and Avocado Combo and my favorite Egg and Avocado-Swirl Breakfast. YUM.
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE:
All you need are five simple ingredients to create this handheld delight.
- Toasted Baguette
- Tomatillo Green Salsa
- Salt (to taste)
- Serrano Ham
- Manchego Cheese
Seriously, that’s it. When you have bold flavors and pile them perfectly together… magical things happen.
WHAT I SERVED THESE WITH:
Casa Flores generously sent me a few of their cheeses, ham, and almonds to try. The spread was absolutely D-E-L-I-S-H!
- 6 Month Aged Manchego: Bright and savory with floral undertones.
- Cave Aged Manchego: Sweet flavor with a tart finish.
- Goat Wine Cheese Wedge: Fruity with a subtle bite to finish.
- Marcona Almonds: We enjoyed truffle, rosemary, and salted.
- Olives: Perfect for snacking with just the right amount of salt and brine.
- Fig Jam: Always a favorite with cheese and crackers.
- Assorted Crackers: Because you gotta have something crunchy.
When creating a tapas spread, I tend to put the hero item (in this case, the Avocado Toasts) in the middle, then build around it. I use multiple plates and cutting boards, and allow the table (and food) to be my canvas.
MORE RECIPES FOR YOUR TABLE:
- ½ Loaf Crusty Baguette
- 1 Avoado
- 3 tbsp. Tomatillo Green Salsa
- Salt, to taste
- 6 oz. Thinly Sliced Serrano Ham
- 3 oz. Manchego, shaved
- Slice the baguette at an angle and toast until desired crispiness.
- Smash the avocado and mix together with the tomatillo salsa. Add a pinch of salt, taste, and add more if desired.
- Tear apart the Serrano ham into smaller slices to pile onto the toast.
- Layer the toasted baguette in the following order: baguette, mashed avocado, Serrano ham, and shaved manchego.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- You can easily double the batch to feed a larger crowd. I like to cut my baguette into 1/2 inch slices, just mentioning for reference. You can slice it however you’d like though.
- If you’d like to use fresh tomatillos instead of salsa, go ahead and grate them with a box grater and add salt to taste. I encourage spicy lovers to grate-in a 1/2 jalapeño as well.
- Avocado will brown if set out for a long period of time, so I suggest making these toasts right before serving. If you MUST make them ahead of time, add a squeeze of lime juice to the avocado mash and wait to assemble the toasts until you’re ready to serve.
PIN THIS FOR LATER: