Have you ever daydreamed about a meatloaf sandwich? Layered with homemade sauce, vibrant pickled red onions and peppery arugula. Oh-so-grand!
Meatloaf is one of those classic recipes that everyone enjoys. It’s full of flavor, juicy and incredibly satisfying. We’re transforming this glorious recipe into mini sandwiches, and I’m totally excited about it! I highly recommend that you serve these little gems as an appetizer at your upcoming holiday gatherings! You can also enjoy them any night of the week alongside my Air Fryer Potato Wedges, dunked into this French Onion Soup, or snuggled next to these Cheesy Dill Pickle Chips!
WATCH ME MAKE IT ON THE GRAM!
THE TASTIEST MEATLOAF SANDWICH:
Let’s just go ahead and get this out into the open, I make meatloaf with the anticipation of noshing on the leftovers. Similar to this Ross Gellar Inspired Leftover Thanksgiving Sandwich, meatloaf nostalgically tastes better on the second day. It only takes one bite… and you’ll be smitten. All you need is the following:
- Homemade Meatloaf: I like to make mine with a mix of ground beef and Italian sausage. This combo is my fav!
- Lightly Toasted Baguette: I sprinkle mine with salt & pepper and warm them up in the oven. The main thing to remember here is to LIGHTLY toast them, otherwise you might irritate the roof of your mouth with their crunchy edges.
- Mayonnaise: If you have access to it, I highly recommend Duke’s Mayo. Big fan over here. Tangy, yet savory.
- Pickled Red Onion: Adds a bit of a bite. You can use raw if you’d like, or skip this all together. Whatever floats your boat.
- Honey Maple Glaze: You can grab my go-to recipe here. Super easy to make and very versatile.
- Arugula: I absolutely heart the peppery notes of arugula, but you can also substitute with your favorite lettuce or herb. A little bit of green goes a long way.
A near and dear cousin to meatloaf are meatballs. Don’t you agree? If you happen to have some Truff Sauce on hand, you’ve gotta try my Meatball Hoagies with Southern Buttermilk Slaw. OH MY. 😉
MORE SANDWICHES YOU’LL ENJOY:
I’m a firm believer that some days are taken up a notch… simply by indulging on a marvelous sandwich. They can be as simple as grilled cheese with tomato, or as decadent as a few of my favorites below!
Pulled Chicken Sandwiches smothered in Alabama White Sauce
The Tastiest Cuban Stuffed with Carnitas
Korean Crab Cake Sandwiches with Kimchi
The Ultimate Lusty Reuben with a Cheese Blanket
Air Fryer Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich
Pickle Juice Crispy Fried Chicken
- 1 Medium-Sized Baguette, sliced and lightly toasted
- ½ cup Mayonnaise, as needed
- 1 lb. Leftover Meatloaf, warmed and cut into slices
- 1 cup Arugula, or as needed
- ½ cup Pickled Red Onions, as needed
- 4 tbsp. Ketchup
- 2 tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp. Honey
- 2 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire
- Dash of Hot Sauce
- Chopped Italian Parsley, as needed
- Slice and toast the baguette. This should give you around 24 slices, or 12 mini sandwiches. Toast the slices under the broiler for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Smear the bottom of 12 toasted slices with mayonnaise. Top with a slice of warmed meatloaf, then arugula, pickled red onions and a drizzle of honey maple glaze. Top with another slice of toasted baguette and sprinkle with chopped Italian parsley. Repeat until all 12 sandwiches are made.
- Enjoy immediately.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- You can serve these mini masterpieces warm or cold. I like them warm, as it’s a little chilly outside here in North Carolina. They taste fantastic with cold meatloaf as well though. To reheat, I personally nuke my leftover meatloaf in the microwave. You can reheat however you see fit though.
- Need a recipe to make the pickled red onions? No problem. All you need is a red onion, 2 cups white vinegar, 2 cups of water, 1/4 cup sugar, and 2 tbsp. salt. Cut the red onion into small slices and place them in a mason jar. Bring the white vinegar + water to a rolling boil and pour over the onions. Add the sugar and salt, seal, and then shake to combine. Place the jar in the refrigerator until cooled. The red onion will turn slightly pink when ready.
- Need more appetizers for your holiday spread? Try making this Southern Pimento Cheese, my Loaded Mashed Potato Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers, or Tik Tok’s trending Air Fryer Pasta Chips!
PIN THIS FOR LATER:
Leave a Reply