Enjoy these Avocado Chicken Salad Pinwheels for lunch, a light dinner or appetizers on game day. They’re easy to make and taste phenomenal!
Chicken salad is one of those recipes that everyone makes a little different. Whether it’s been passed down from generation to generation, or you’re utilizing ingredients you already have on hand. This classic combination is something the whole family will enjoy. Other handheld favorites include my Cheese Encrusted Reuben Sandwiches, Brioche Monte Cristo Sliders, and these Korean Beef Cream Cheese Wontons.
INGREDIENTS FOR AVOCADO CHICKEN SALAD:
Classic Chicken Salad is traditionally made with chicken, mayonnaise, celery, onion and a splash of citrus to brighten the flavor. Today, we’re mixing things up a bit. You’ll need the following:
- CHICKEN: Leftover rotisserie, shredded or canned work best.
- AVOCADO: This is a great way to use up ripe avocados in a flash.
- MAYONNAISE: Just a squeeze or two bring everything together.
- LIME JUICE: Fresh Lime Juice helps ensure the avocado stays bright green.
- CHEDDAR CHEESE: Cheese makes everything better, am I right? Similar to Bacon. Oh, bacon.
- PICKLED RED ONION: Adds a pop of color and boosts flavor.
- GREEN ONION: Another fresh element with mild, yet pleasing, zing.
- GARLIC POWDER: A light dusting of this yumminess goes a long way.
- HERBS: Fresh parsley or cilantro work best.
- SALT + PEPPER: Because… well, duh.
- FLOUR TORTILLAS: For making the pinwheels.
ADDITIONAL IDEAS FOR ADD-INS:
There’s no right or wrong when it comes to Chicken Salad. I’ve made it with French onion dip before (yummy) and also stuffed it into avocados instead of mixing it in. Play around with a few recipes and see which one you enjoy most. Other items you can add include:
- NUTS: Pecans, cashews, sliced almonds or even walnuts are a great addition for extra crunch.
- VEGGIES: Chop up some celery, add shredded carrots or thin slices of bell pepper!
- HARD BOILED EGGS: Slice them up and mix them in! I’m a huge fan of egg salad, so make a fusion of them both!
- FRUIT: Common fruits include grapes, diced apples, or dried cranberries.
- ADDITIONAL SEASONINGS: Add whatever your little heart desires. 😉
OTHER AVOCADO RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
- 2 cups Shredded Chicken
- 1 Avocado
- 2 tbsp. Mayonnaise, add more to taste
- ½ cup Shredded Cheese
- 2 tbsp. Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp.Diced Pickled Red Onion
- 2 Green Onions, sliced
- ½ tsp. Garlic Powder
- Fresh Cilantro or Parsley, chopped
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
- 6 Flour Tortillas
- Stir together all ingredients (minus the tortillas) for the Avocado Chicken salad in a large bowl until blended.
- Spread mixture evenly among 6 tortillas and roll them up tightly.
- Slice with a serrated knife into ½ inch slices. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 20 minutes.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- You can substitute Greek yogurt or sour cream for the mayonnaise, if preferred. I’ve even made this with Mexican Crema and it’s super delish.
- I do not recommend freezing this, as it will become soggy when thawed.
- Trying to stay low carb? Swap the tortilla for lettuce, wrap and slice in the same way. I’d recommend green leaf lettuce for this.
PIN THIS FOR LATER: