We’re traveling the world with our tastebuds! This Chicken Suya is savory, a little spicy, and makes enough to feed a family of four.
These nutty chicken skewers are quickly becoming a family favorite! Crispy on the outside, succulent in the middle… and thanks to the air fryer, they cook quickly! A perfect option for weeknight dinner. We served ours over Savory Jollof Rice and Spicy African Pepper Sauce. The combination was oh-so-yummy!
FIRST, YOU’LL START BY MARINATING THE CHICKEN:
The marinade is everything here, as it helps flavor the meat and creates a super delicious, caramelized crust on the exterior. This recipe was inspired by a Nigerian dish that’s normally skewered and then grilled. However, if you’ve browsed through my website before, ya’ll know I love to revamp traditional recipes into air fryer versions! Here’s everything you’ll need for the marinating:
- Garlic Powder
- Dried Minced Onion
- Smoked Paprika
- White Pepper
- Chicken Bouillon
- Creamy Peanut Butter
- Chicken Thighs
- Peanut Oil
White pepper is a little milder than black pepper. Since we’re adding cayenne for heat, white pepper makes this marinade a little more complex and earthy. If you don’t have any on hand, you can certainly substitute with black pepper. I’d just make sure to start with a smaller amount, taste (before adding the chicken!), and adjust accordingly.
SKEWERING THE CHICKEN:
When planning to skewer the chicken, first you’ll cut the thighs into smaller bite-sized pieces. I prefer this method, as it allows the marinade to cover more surface then leaving the thighs whole. Trust me, the end result is the BEST flavor explosion combo! Make sure to soak the skewers in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent them from burning.
CAN YOU MAKE CHICKEN SUYA AHEAD OF TIME?
Absolutely! Sometimes I’ll marinate the chicken in a large Ziplock bag and place it in the fridge overnight. When ready to cook, simply thread the chicken on your soaked skewers and proceed with the recipe.
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE!
- 1 tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp. Dried Minced Onion
- ½ tbsp. Smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp. White Pepper
- 1 tbsp. Cayenne
- ½ tbsp. Chicken Bouillon
- ¼ cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 2 tbsp. Peanut Oil
- FOR THE CHICKEN SUYA:
- 8 - 10 Wooden Skewers, soaked in water
- 1.5 lbs. Chicken Thighs
- Italian Parsley, for garnish
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the marinade and set aside.
- Prepare the chicken but cutting the thighs into smaller bite-sized pieces and trimming any excess fat. Once complete, fold the chicken into the marinade.
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
- Slide chicken onto skewers, packing them tightly together. Preheat the air fryer to 400F. Divide the skewers evenly among both racks (about 4 - 5 skewers each) and cook for 16 minutes, making sure to rotate the racks halfway through.
- The chicken will be done once the internal temperature has reached 165F. Enjoy immediately with your favorite sides and hot sauce.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- If you want to kick things up a notch, you can add more cayenne, or a spoonful of garlic chili paste to the marinade. Sriracha tastes great as well!
- I prefer the texture of the dried minced onion, but you can certainly replace that with onion powder if that’s what you have on hand.
- The wooden skewers aren’t necessary, but I find that it helps the chicken cook evenly. Depending on what type of air fryer you are using, cooking times may vary. I use an Instant Pot Vortex, which has two racks. If you have a basket air fryer, you may need to cook in batches and flip the skewers over halfway through.
This post is sponsored in partnership with Springer Mountain Farms. Per the usual, all opinions here are mine alone and I would never recommend a product or ingredient that I did not immensely enjoy myself. Thank you for supporting the brands that support SliceOfJess.com!
PIN THIS FOR LATER: