Not sure how to revamp last night’s leftovers? These handhelds are the best meatloaf sandwiches, ever. So good… we make them once a week!
This recipe starts with my Grandma June’s Recipe for Meatloaf. Her original recipe uses Lipton Onion Mix, but I’ve made her recipe my own with chopped onions, seasoned breadcrumbs and fresh herbs. If you’re looking for more savory classics, make sure to check out my Inside-Out Cheesy Sausage Biscuits and this Mind-Blowing Southern Baked Mac & Cheese. Oh, and these Salami Cream Cheese Stuffed Wontons will be your new best friend. 😉
INGREDIENTS FOR THESE SANDWICHES:
This recipe blog is going to be short and sweet… as I usually make these leftover sandwiches around 6pm with no direct sunlight or photo studio set-up. Therefore, I don’t really have any pretty photos to share. However, I did film a reel! So that counts for something, right? Here’s what you’ll need:
- Toasted Sourdough Bread Slices
- Homemade Meatloaf Sauce (recipe here)
- Chopped Gardenia
- Sliced Meatloaf
- Mashed Potatoes (Here’s my go-to recipe)
- Caesar Salad
Now don’t judge before you try this… it’s absolutely phenomenal. Want to add some cheese? Go for it. Need some extra heat? Add a dash of your favorite hot sauce or pepper flakes! Per the usual, this is a base recipe. Feel free to adjust to your own likings. Need an appetizer form? I’ve got you covered with these Toasty Gems!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
- 4 Slices of Sourdough Bread
- ½ cup Homemade Meatloaf Sauce
- ¼ cup Chopped Gardenia
- ¾ lb. Leftover Meatloaf
- ½ cup Leftover Mashed Potatoes
- 1 cup Caesar Salad
- Warm the leftover meatloaf and mashed potatoes. This can be done in the microwave, air fryer, oven or whatever method you chose.
- Whisk together the meatloaf sauce in a small bowl (recipe is linked within this post). Next, mix together the Caesar salad in a large bowl. Set both aside.
- Toast the sourdough bread to your desired crispiness.
- Slather each interior side of the toasted bread with meatloaf sauce. Then pile on the warmed meatloaf, a slather of mashed potatoes and top with Caesar salad. Place the other toasted slice of bread on top and enjoy!
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- Feel free to use whatever type of bread you enjoy most. My personal favorite is sourdough, so that’s what I used here.
- I like to warm my meatloaf in the air fryer. It’s easy clean-up, gets slightly crispy on the edges and reheats much faster than a standard oven. I reheated the slices at 375F for roughly 10 – 15 minutes.
- Not a fan of Caesar salad? Not a problem. Substitute with whatever salad you like best! This Grinder Salad has been pretty popular at our home lately, and this In-n-Out Burger Sauce tastes great on meatloaf sandwiches as well.