When it comes to the hustle and bustle, easy dinner ideas always float my boat. This Sesame Ginger Chicken is a family favorite! YUM-YUM!
There’s nothing more satisfying then knowing you can throw some protein on the grill with green onions, serve it up alongside some sushi rice and call it a meal. I typically carry all these ingredients in my pantry / fridge at any given time, so this is a “winner-winner, chicken dinner”. Get my drift? 😉 Similar recipes you might enjoy include these Potato Chip Crusted Chicken Fingers, my Incredibly Yummy Buffalo Chicken Meatballs, and this crowd-pleasing Banh I Sheet Pan Nachos.
MARINADE FOR SESAME GARLIC CHICKEN:
I like to let the chicken soak up this juicy mixture between 2 – 6 hours before grilling. If you’re in a time-pinch, you can definitely get away with one hour (but I highly recommend at least two or more!). Shake any excess liquid off the chicken thighs before cooking and you’re good to go! They turn out perfectly golden brown, somewhat sticky (in a good way) and my tastebuds completely swoon each and every time.
- Olive Oil
- Soy Sauce
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- Grated Ginger
- Green Onions
- Sesame Seeds
- Fresh Lime
I also like to reserve some extra green onions and fresh lime wedges for garnishments. A sprinkle of sesame seeds is highly recommended as well!
WHAT TYPE OF RICE DO YOU SERVE SESAME GINGER CHICKEN WITH?
We always nestle this chicken masterpiece next to perfectly cooked sushi rice. So, what’s the difference between my sushi rice and plain ‘ol white rice? First off, sushi rice (also labeled as Japanese short-grain rice”) is fluffy but still firm to the bite. I absolutely love this texture. Once cooked, I add a splash of seasoned rice vinegar, a dash of sugar and salt to taste. This gives your overall dish that extra oomph that’s definitely noticed if you’re serving this at a dinner party! You’ll get the “ooooh’s and ahhhh’s….. what’s in here that tastes so GREAT?”. 😉 I’ve included directions for sushi rice in the notes below!
PRO TIP: For extra pretty presentation, garnish the cooked rice bowl with sesame seeds and green onion slices.
OTHER RECIPES YOU NEED TO TRY:
- 1.5 lbs. Chicken Thighs
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- ⅓ Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup Honey
- 2 tbsp. Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 tbsp. Freshly Grated Ginger
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- Juice of ½ Lime
- Sesame Seeds, as needed for both dishes
- Lime Wedges
- Sliced Green Onions
- Place the chicken thighs and all marinade ingredients in a large freezer bag or plastic container for at least 1 hour before consuming. Gently rub together, seal and set in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to mingle.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Shake off any excess liquid from the chicken thighs and sear over direct heat for 5 minutes, flip, and sear the opposite side for an additional five minutes (or until internal temperature has reached 175F).
- Serve chicken alongside rice and garnish with sesame seeds, lime wedges and green onions. Enjoy immediately.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- If you’d like to serve this alongside Sushi rice, you’ll need the following ingredients. A half hour before you’re ready to cook the chicken, start the sushi rice! Rinse the rice in a mesh strainer and drain well. Simmer the sushi rice, water and butter over medium heat in a sauce pan. Cover tightly with a lid and simmer for roughly 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat, leaving the lid on, and allow the rice to continue to steam for 10 minutes. Just before serving, add a splash of the seasoned rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Stir to combine, taste, and adjust to your personal preferences (more vinegar, sugar + salt, if desired).
- 1 cup Sushi Rice
- 1.5 cups Water
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1 tbsp. Seasoned Rice Vinegar, or more to taste
- 2 tsp. Sugar, or more to taste
- 1 – 2 tsp. Salt, to taste
- I like to leave some of the green onions whole and grill them alongside the chicken. They get little char marks which make for a pretty plate (and they taste yummy!).
- Need to feed a heartier appetite? Serve a couple appetizers while you prep the meal! Popular additions include my Genoa Salami and Cream Cheese Wontons, make a Family-Friendly Charcuterie Board, or make a batch of my Garlic Naan Flour Tortillas!
PIN THIS FOR LATER: