These Homemade Flour Tortillas are soft, chewy and slathered in garlic butter and fresh herbs. So easy to prep and they’re ready in minutes!
I’ll be the first to admit that I am NOT a baker or bread expert. However, these tortillas are fool-proof! Enjoy them on their own or with dips like hummus, baba ganoush and whipped feta! They’re also great wrapped around some eggs, carne asada and black beans. I’ve even transformed them into a breakfast pizza and it was legendary.
INGREDIENTS FOR HOMEMADE FLOUR TORTILLAS:
The base recipe for these tortillas is actually just TWO ingredients! However, with the addition of spices, butter and herbs you’ve got yourself a killer recipe. I’d like to think this is the perfect fusion of flour tortillas and garlic naan bread. So grand! All you’ll need is:
- All-Purpose Flour
- Full Fat Greek Yogurt
- Melted Butter
- Fresh Cilantro
If you have them on hand, I also recommend adding a dash of garlic powder, onion powder and smoked paprika to the flour dough. About 1/2 tsp. each should do the trick! The spices aren’t mandatory ingredients but they sure are tasty.
HOW TO MAKE TORTILLAS FROM SCRATCH:
First you’ll start by mixing the flour and Greek yogurt together in a large bowl. The dough will look crumbly, but once you start to work it together with your hands a ball will form. Allow the dough to rest for 5 minutes or so in the refrigerator.
Cut the dough ball into 8 equal sized sections with a pastry cutter or a sharp knife . Using a rolling pin, flatten out each section on a flour dusted cutting board (Psst: make sure to flour your rolling pin as well so the dough doesn’t stick!). Don’t worry about the tortillas turning out perfectly round, I actually prefer the rustic-edge look. I feel like they look and taste more authentic that way. 😉
Warm up a frying pan over medium heat. Add a dab of butter and cook one tortilla at a time for about 30 seconds on each side, or until brown little spots appear. Personal Note: I add a little butter when I flip the tortilla. This way each side has a golden, crispy crust and they’re chewy in the middle. Place the cooked tortillas in a clean dishcloth to keep warm while you prepare the rest.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Full Fat Greek Yogurt
- ½ tsp. Kosher Salt, optional
- ½ tsp. each of Garlic Powder, Onion Powder & Smoked Paprika, optional
- 3 Tbsp. Butter, melted
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- Kosher Salt, optional as needed
- Mix flour and greek yogurt (along with optional salt + spices) in a large bowl until dough forms. Allow the dough to rest in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes.
- Divide into 8 equal sized sections.
- Using a flour-dusted rolling pin, carefully roll out each section on a floured cutting board until flat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a dab of butter and cook one tortilla at a time for about 30 seconds on each side, or until brown little spots appear.
- Place cooked tortillas in a clean dishcloth to keep warm while you prepare the rest.
- Melt the butter and mix together in a small bowl with the minced garlic. Brush each tortilla with garlic butter sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro and optional kosher salt before serving. Enjoy immediately.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- With such minimal ingredients, make sure you are using a nice quality flour for this recipe. You will also need to make sure you are using 4% or higher fat Greek yogurt. Non-fat does not work well in this recipe.
- If you plan on making these ahead of time, cook them accordingly but do not add the garlic butter or cilantro. Once cooked, allow them to cool completely to room temperature before transferring them to a ziplock bag for storage. They will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. When ready to eat, simply heat them up in a skillet over low heat. Brush them with garlic butter, cilantro and optional salt before serving.
- Serve these as a side dish with Crockpot Indian Butter Chicken, Butternut Squash Chicken Curry (VIDEO) or in place of regular tortillas when making quesadillas or Mexican Pizzas!
THANK YOU FOR THE SOCIAL LOVE! ARE WE FRIENDS YET ON THE GRAM? 🙂
PIN THIS FOR LATER: