Tangy BBQ Chicken Sliders and summertime go hand and hand. Serve with your favorite slaw, dipping sauce, and you’re all set!
If you know me at all, you are well aware of how much I heart sandwiches. When served in slider form, they’re the ideal way to pass out your favorite handheld in party form. Other gathering favorites include these Hot Chicken Dip Wonton Tacos, this Hatch Chile Mexican Street Corn Dip, and my Crispy Cheesy Dill Pickle Chips (a blog favorite!).
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE:
The combination of flavors here are outstanding! You’ve got tang from the ginger ale, aromatics from the herbs, cheesy goodness, and a creamy pickle slaw to finish. Here’s what you’ll need:
FOR THE SLIDERS:
- Chicken Breasts
- Green Chilies
- Green Onions
- The Unknown Craft Ginger Ale
- Salt + Pepper
- Hawaiian Slider Rolls
- BBQ Sauce
- Havarti Cheese
FOR THE DILL PICKLE SLAW:
- Dill Pickles
- Celery Seeds
- Garlic Powder
- Salt + Pepper
I like to make the slaw while the chicken cooks, but you can certainly make it a day ahead of time if you’d like! I’ve been a little bit obsessed with dill pickles lately (maybe it’s the warm weather? They’re so crispy and cool!)… so I thought highlighting them in a slaw would be perfection! Ahem, and it was.
WAYS TO SERVE GINGER ALE CHICKEN:
For the slider form, I thought a slather of bbq sauce and melty havarti cheese would pull everything together. However, you could also serve this shredded chicken inside quesadillas, tacos, lunch wraps, or mixed into your favorite dip! The possibilities are endless.
OPTIONS FOR COOKING:
Whichever method you choose, simply shred with two forks at the end and you’re ready to go!
INSTANT POT: For convenience, I like utilizing my instant pot for pulled chicken because it’s finished in under 15 minutes.
SLOW COOKER: This is your go-to option if you need to fix it and forget it. Simply add all the ingredients to the slow cooker, cover, and set on low for 6 hours.
DUTCH OVEN: If you’ll be working from home and don’t own a slow cooker, you can certainly cook the chicken low and slow inside a dutch oven. Similar to the crockpot, place all ingredients inside the dutch oven, cover, and place in a 350F preheated oven for 45 – 50 minutes.
WHERE TO FIND UNKNOWN CRAFT GINGER ALE:
Unknown Craft Ginger Ale is a Charlotte born, Atlanta raised ginger ale company that takes pride in using only the natural and fresh ingredients! They have three flavors: spicy, cranberry, and original. Swing by your local Harris Teeter to pick some up to try! Psst: You can learn about my own personal history with Unknown within my blog post for this refreshing Floradora Cocktail.
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES YOU’LL ENJOY:
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 4.5 oz. can Green Chilies
- ⅓ Cup Sliced Green Onions (two stalks)
- 2 tbsp. Minced Cilantro
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire
- ½ can The Unknown Craft Ginger Ale
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Black Pepper
- 12 Hawaiian Slider Rolls
- ½ cup BBQ Sauce
- 6 Slices Havarti Cheese
- 2 cups Shredded Cabbage
- ¼ cup Shredded Carrots
- ½ cup Dill Pickles, diced
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Celery Seeds
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Black Pepper
- Place the chicken breasts, green chilies, green onions, cilantro, Worcestershire, ginger ale, salt, and pepper in the instant pot. Cover, switch the valve to "sealing", and select the pressure cooker option for 8 minutes.
- While the chicken cooks, mix all ingredients for the dill pickle coleslaw in a large bowl and set in the refrigerator until you're ready to assemble.
- Once the chicken is finished cooking, switch the valve from "sealing" to "venting". Allow the pressure cooker to vent for at least 10 minutes before opening. After, remove the chicken and shred with two forks.*
- Remove the Hawaiian rolls from their packaging and slice in half, diagonally. Place both halves, cut side up, on a greased baking sheet. Brush both sides with bbq sauce and cover one side with the shredded chicken, then the opposite side with sliced havarti.
- Place the rolls in a 450F oven for 5 - 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and is bubbly.
- Remove the rolls from the oven and top the chicken side with the coleslaw. Place the cheese side down on top and cut into twelve slider rolls. Serve with your favorite sauce for dipping and enjoy immediately.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- * I chose to make this in a pressure cooker, but you can certainly make the chicken in a slow cooker or Dutch oven. See notes within the blog post for directions on different methods.
- To mix things up, I sometimes serve these with my Alabama White Sauce for dipping. Or I’ll even swap the regular BBQ sauce on the inside for this as well.
- While I prefer Havarti cheese in this recipe, you can also use mozzarella, cheddar, Colby jack, jalapeño jack, or whatever melting cheese you like most.
This post is sponsored in partnership with Unknown Brewing Craft Ginger Ale . Per the usual, all opinions here are mine alone and I would never recommend a product or ingredient that I did not immensely enjoy myself. Thank you for supporting the brands that support SliceOfJess.com!
PIN THIS FOR LATER: