Is there a more classic combo than Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup? Nostalgic and timeless. My version is spiked with extra goodies, yum!
I’m pretty sure it’s safe to say that most of us grew up on this classic meal. There’s something incredibly satisfying when you dunk ooey-gooey cheese-stuffed, pan-toasted bread into Silky Tomato Soup. Especially if you’re feeling under the weather or are in need of a comfort meal. When I’m craving something a little bit heartier, I pair these alongside my Homemade Cream of Celery. Serving them in my No Cook Pizza Sauce is never a bad idea and if you’re feeling adventurous you can slather the inside with my Grandma’s Spinach Dip.
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS HANDHELD:
I recently tried the Grinder Salad trend and piled it on top of a Corned Beef Sandwich. Ya’ll know I like to try different ingredients, so I added a sprinkle of celery seeds. Oh man, what a game changer! I’ve been eager to add them to a grilled cheese sandwich and let me just say… wowza. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Sliced Loaf Bread
- Celery Seeds
- Salted Butter
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Mozzarella
- Grated Sharp Cheddar
- Grated Mozzarella
- Fresh Chives
- Tomato Soup, optional for serving
I’m a firm believer that mayonnaise slathered on the exterior of your sandwich for toasting in sans of butter is the way to go. There’s this golden crust that forms and it’s so extremely flavorful. I do add a bit of butter to the pan as well, so it really is the best of both worlds.
WHY I LOVE GRILLED CHEESE AND TOMATO SOUP:
If you’re familiar with my blog, you are well aware how much I heart sandwiches. They’re seriously one of my favorite things to nosh on. There’s no right or wrong, and you can add whatever your little heart desires to make your pile of yummies extra delish. When it comes to grilled cheese, the more varieties of cheese… the better! Per the usual, I try to use what’s on hand. However, utilize whatever you’d like for your cheese pull pleasure! Other melty options include:
Mix-and-Match however you see fit. If you come up with a combination that you immensely enjoy, let me know in the comments so I can give it a try! I love seeing all your creations!
OTHER SANDWICHES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
Pickle Juice Crispy Fried Chicken Sammy (VIDEO)
Protein-Packed Grated Egg Biscuits with Avocado
- 2 Slices of Loaf Bread
- 4 tbsp. Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Celery Seeds
- 1 tsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 2 oz. Fresh Mozzarella
- ¼ cup Grated Sharp Cheddar
- ¼ cup Grated Mozzarella
- Fresh Chives, as desired
- Serve with Tomato Soup, optional
- If needed, slice bread into two equal-size slabs. Set aside.
- Mix the mayonnaise and celery seeds in a small bowl and slather all four sides of the sliced bread.
- Add olive oil and butter to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once butter has melted, set the two slices of bread in the pan.
- Top one slice with fresh mozzarella and grated cheddar. Top the other slice with grated mozzarella. Add the top to the skillet to help melt the cheeses, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle both sides with chives and fold the slices together. Continue to sear for 1 - 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately on its own or with tomato soup for dunking. Enjoy!
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- I personally like to buy a French loaf or ciabatta from the grocery store’s deli department and slice the bread before assembling. You can certainly use another bread if that’s what tickles your fancy. I’ll leave that decision up to you!
- Freshly grated cheese works best in this recipe. I used a mix of fresh mozzarella and block mozzarella, as they have different moisture and consistency. There’s no need to shred the fresh mozzarella (that’s actually a pretty hard task if you ask me), so I simply slice it.
- Other ingredients I’ll sometimes add to my grilled cheese include arugula or spinach, sliced tomato, pickled red onions, pepperoni (check out this recipe!), sliced turkey, jalapeño peppers, pickles or pickled veggies… the possibilities are endless!
Leave a Reply