If you’re a fan of fried chicken, you’ve gotta give this French Bread Pizza Recipe a whirl. A tasty combo that your whole family will enjoy.
With two kids in the house, pizza makes an appearance on our dinner menu at least once a week. Heck, sometimes we even have it for breakfast. Other family favorites include my Italian Stuffed Stromboli, BLT Flatbreads and these Pepperoni Pizza Garlic Knots.
WATCH THIS VIDEO ON THE GRAM!
INGREDIENTS FOR MY FRENCH BREAD PIZZA RECIPE:
Per the usual, feel free to customize this recipe to your own personal preferences. I like adding the coleslaw on top for a bit of brightness and crunch.
- FRENCH BREAD LOAF: You can find this at your local grocery store’s bakery. You’re looking for a loaf that’s slightly crusty on the outside, moist in the middle.
- DUKE’S CAROLINA GOLD BBQ SAUCE: This mustard-forward sauce pairs perfectly in this recipe. It’s slightly sweet and has a subtle hint of heat.
- CHEESE: I chose to use a blend of Monterey Jack and cheddar for this recipe, but any variety of melting cheese will do the trick!
- BONELESS FRIED CHICKEN BREAST: I kept things simple and bought mine at the store. However, you can also make your own at home. If you need some ideas I’ve got this pickle-juice brined version (video included) and this air fryer method on my blog!
- PICKLED RED ONIONS: These are a tasty addition that adds a bit of tang.
- PURPLE SLAW: I make my own with red cabbage and thinly sliced bell pepper. I’ll include the recipe below.
- FRESH JALAPEÑOS: These are totally optional. I personally love the zip of heat, but if you’re not a fan of spicy things you can substitute with pickled jalapeños or skip them all together.
- HERBS: I absolutely heart me some fresh greens! They’re the perfect addition to every meal. I recommend a mix of Italian parsley, chives and cilantro for this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE PURPLE SLAW:
Keeping things Southern, coleslaw is an awesome addition to pizza. My version is the perfect blend of sweet, tangy, and creamy. What you’ll need is the following:
- 8 cups thinly sliced Red Cabbage (1/2 large cabbage)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Duke’s Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Agave Nectar (or maple syrup)
- ½ tsp. Celery Seeds
- ½ tsp. Dried Dill
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
Cut the red cabbage and bell pepper and place them in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the cabbage and bell peppers, then toss to combine. Set the slaw in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use. Keep leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
OTHER CHICKEN RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
Air Fryer Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich
Avocado Chicken Salad with a Cheesy Cracker Crust
Dutch Oven Pozole Verde with Chicken
Alabama White Sauce Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
Sweet & Sassy Buffalo Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 French Bread Loaf
- Drizzle of Olive Oil, as needed
- 1 cup Duke's Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce
- 2 cups Shredded Cheese
- 2 Fried Chicken Breasts, sliced
- Pickled Red Onions, as needed
- Purple Cabbage Slaw (recipe above)
- 1 Fresh Jalapeño, optional
- 1 tbsp. Chopped Chives
- 1 tbsp. Chopped Italian Parsley
- 1 tbsp. Chopped Cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 425 and cut the loaf of French bread in half. Drizzle each half with olive oil and bake for 3-5 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Remove from the oven and spread each half with Duke's Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce. Then sprinkle with half the cheese, top with the sliced fried chicken and then the remaining half of the cheese.
- Bake for an additional 10 - 15 minutes, or until cheese has melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and allow the pizza to cool for a few minutes. Then, cut into slices and top with the pickled red onions, purple cabbage slaw, fresh jalapeño and a sprinkle of herbs. Enjoy immediately.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- I’m a firm believer in pre-toasting the bread. This allows for a slight crust and the loaf won’t get soggy. Trust me on this one, it’s a game changer for sure.
- If desired, you can make the purple slaw up to one day in advance. If you have any leftovers, enjoy it with my these Meatball Hoagies!
- Need a recipe to make the pickled red onions? No problem. All you need is a red onion, 2 cups white vinegar, 2 cups of water, 1/4 cup sugar, and 2 tbsp. salt. Cut the red onion into small slices and place them in a mason jar. Bring the white vinegar + water to a rolling boil and pour over the onions. Add the sugar and salt, seal, and then shake to combine. Place the jar in the refrigerator until cooled. The red onion will turn slightly pink when ready.
This post is sponsored by Duke’s Mayo. Per the usual, all opinions here are mine alone and I would never recommend an ingredient that I did not immensely enjoy myself. Thank you for supporting the brands that support SliceOfJess.com!
PIN THIS FOR LATER:
Leave a Reply