Mix-up your lunch routine by swapping your bread with cheese waffles! They’re crispy, savory and super satisfying.
Gimme anything surrounded by a blanket of cheese, and I’m immediately a happy camper. Other cheese-tactic combinations you might enjoy include my Lusty Reubens, this AM Pizza Pick-Me-Up and my Egg Stuffed Pepperoni Pizza Breakfast Sandwiches.
I’ll be first to admit that I have a slight obsession with sandwiches. Don’t you agree that they’re the ultimate comfort food? I mean, who doesn’t love ’em? I recently saw on Instagram that some folks were wrapping their sandwiches in cheese instead of bread… so I thought… wouldn’t crispy burnt cheese be tastier? Better yet, why not include a pickle? Speaking of pickles, have you tried my Air Fryer Fried Pickles?
TIDBITS ON MAKING CHEESE WAFFLES:
In the past, I’ve made keto taco shells in the oven by baking little piles of cheese on parchment paper. So when I busted out my waffle iron for this recipe, I immediately thought… oh, would this work with cheese? You ‘betcha!
- Shred your own cheese! Any type of semi-hard cheese will work in this recipe… just make sure to buy it in the block and shred it yourself. Pre-shredded cheeses don’t melt the same.
- I like to coat the interior of the waffle iron in cooking spray, just to ensure that the melted cheese won’t stick.
- When you remove the cheese from the waffle maker after it’s browned, it will be a little flimsy. Set it on a paper towel and it will crisp while it cools. Trust me on this one, give it 5 minutes and you’ll have yourself a super crunchy carb-free exterior for your sandwich!
HOW TO MAKE A CHEESE-WRAPPED SANDWICH:
Let your mind wander and pile on what you enjoy most! We typically have some form of thinly shaved Boar’s Head deli meat in our fridge (as I love making lettuce wraps for lunch, too!). Today’s handheld was stacked with Peppered Turkey, Arugula, Dijon Mustard and Duke’s Mayo. Other combo’s you might like include:
- Egg Salad would be a great low-carb, high protein option! Here’s my Miso Spiked Version as well as a Good ‘Ol Classic Recipe.
- Meatballs are always a grand idea. Serve them with some buttermilk slaw and you’ve got yourself a real treat. Here’s my recipe for Truff Meatballs!
- Stuff the center with Alabama White Sauce Shredded Chicken! A family favorite.
- Cooking Spray, as needed
- ½ cup Shredded Colby Jack
- 2 Pickle Spears
- Mayonnaise, as needed
- Dijon Mustard, as needed
- 10 Slices of Peppered Turkey
- Handful of Arugula
- Heat waffle iron to medium high. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle on ¼ cup of shredded cheese.
- Place a pickle slice on each half and cover with remaining cheese. Close the waffle iron. Cook for 3 - 5 minutes, or until cheese has started to brown. (Note: Use more cheese for a bigger waffle, if desired.)
- Remove the cheese waffle and place on a paper towel to cool.
- To assemble the sandwich, simply cut the cheese waffle in half and smear on side with mayonnaise and the other with Dijon Mustard. Pile on the turkey and arugula, fold together and enjoy!
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- If you prefer a thicker waffle but still want to stay low-carb, try making a Chaffle! It’s basically an egg and the same amount of cheese whisked together before adding to the waffle iron.
- Want to add some extra pizazz? I’ve made cheese waffles with pickled jalapeños stuffed in the middle as well. Yum, yum.
- No waffle maker? No problem! You can also make a cheese wrap in the oven! Here’s an Instagram video showing you how.
PIN THIS FOR LATER: