Next time you’re seeking a quick and easy side dish, look no further than these brown sugar glazed carrots! Perfect for busy weekday dinners. This is one of my go-to side dishes. It’s simple enough for a family meal, yet elegant enough for a holiday gathering. A true crowd pleaser!
Carrots are something I always have on hand… as it’s one of the few vegetables I can get our six-year-old to agree to munch on. They’re naturally sweet, fairly inexpensive and stay fresh in the refrigerator drawer for weeks on end. Other kid-approved recipes you might enjoy include this Family-Friendly Charcuterie Board, my Italian Stuffed Stromboli, and these Air Fryer Fried Chicken Bites.
INGREDIENTS FOR BROWN SUGAR GLAZED CARROTS:
This recipe calls for 5 kitchen staples that you probably already have on hand.
- Brown Sugar
- Italian Parsley
If you’d like to spice things up a bit, you can always add some freshly cracked black pepper, a dash of hot sauce or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
TIPS AND TRICKS ON HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
- First you’ll want to peel and chop your carrots. Make sure to cut them in uniform to ensure that they cook evenly. You can also use a bag of baby carrots that are already peeled and the same shape.
- I personally love the pop of freshness with the Italian parsley, but it’s not a mandatory ingredient.
- Don’t have any brown sugar on hand? Try using a drizzle of maple syrup!
HOW DO YOU MAKE GLAZED CARROTS?
The first step is to peel and cut your carrots. I typically cut my carrots into thick chunks, but if you’d rather cut them into sticks or chips… that’s totally up to you. 😉 You can also use a bag of peeled and cut baby carrots. The carrots simmer in water until tender, then the brown sugar and butter go into the pan. Finish the skillet off with a dash of salt and a bit of parsley and you’re ready to go!
SERVING SUGGESTIONS FOR THESE CARROTS:
- 2 lb. Large Carrots, peeled and cut into thick slices
- ¼ cup Salted Butter
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Chopped Italian Parsley, as needed for garnish
- Peel and chop carrots, if needed. Place them in a large skillet over medium heat and add a cup of water. Bring carrots to a simmer and cover, allowing them to tenderize. About 6 minutes. Drain off any excess water.
- Add the butter and brown sugar. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved. About 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped, fresh parsley, season with salt and enjoy immediately.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- Feel free to peel the carrots ahead of time, if needed. Peel and store them in the fridge for up to 3 days in advance.
- Want to add a oomph of protein? Simmer the carrots in bone broth instead of water. A total game changer!
- It’s important to cover the carrots so they stem and tenderize. If you’re using baby carrots, cooking time will be far less so make sure to check them periodically so they don’t overcook.