Cheesy, savory, super fulfilling, and incredibly easy to make… your whole family will love this Mexican Rice Casserole!
This protein-packed rice casserole is the ultimate way to use up any ground beef you have tucked away in your fridge. There’s a little bit of this, a little bit of that… and I often refer to these one-skillet wonders as “kitchen sink” meals. The ingredients are super simple, but when paired together they make a show stopping entree. Other Mexican favorites include my Hatch Chili Street Corn Dip, these Red & Green Enchiladas, and my homemade version of Taco Bell’s Mexican Pizza.
MEXICAN RICE CASSEROLE INGREDIENTS:
We used brown rice in today’s recipe to make it a little heartier and filling. Feel free to use white rice, quinoa or even your favorite grain if that’s what you have on hand (or enjoy the most). My recipes are always flexible. 🙂
- Ground Beef
- Red Onion
- Red Bell Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Dried Oregano
- Frozen Corn Kernels
- Black Beans
- Cooked Brown Rice
- Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Tomato Love with Double More Chilies
This dish has an endless amount of garnishes that would go well. We often utilize Green Onions, Fresh Cilantro, Avocado Slices, Mexican Crema (or Sour Cream), and our favorite Hot Sauce.
WHY I LOVE THIS ONE SKILLET MASTERPIECE:
Growing up in California, I’m immediately drawn to any type of Mexican food, Tex-Mex Fusions, and everything in-between. Whenever I have the option to make an entire meal in ONE SKILLET, I immediately swoon. I mean, who wants to wash a ton of dishes. Do you? I didn’t think so. If your answer was yes, I invite you to come cook with me! I’ll gladly exchange my cleaning duties for offering to feed you a marvelous meal. 😉
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- ¼ Small Red Onion, diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp. Cumin
- 2 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp. Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 cup Frozen Corn Kernels, thawed
- 15 ounce can Black Beans, drained
- 4 cups Cooked Brown Rice
- 1 cup Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, split in half
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese, split in half
- 10 ounce can Tomato Love with Double More Chilies
- Fresh Cilantro,
- Diced Green Onions
- Avocado, sliced
- Mexican Crema Drizzle
- Your Favorite Hot Sauce
- Cook brown rice (or grain of choice) and set aside.
- Sauté the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once browned, add the diced shallot and bell pepper. Continue to cook until slightly softened, about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add all seasonings, corn kernels, black beans and cooked rice. Cover with ½ cup or Monterey Jack and ½ cup of Cheddar. Mix to combine.
- Add the Tomato Love with Double More Chilies, mix, and top with remaining cheese. Preheat the skillet in a 400F preheated oven for 3 - 4 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Serve with desired garnishes and enjoy immediately.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- I used 85/15 ground beef for this recipe, as I don’t drain it after browning. I use the small amount of remaining liquid to sauté the shallot and red bell pepper.
- While this recipe utilized thawed frozen corn (because I always have some in my fridge), you can also use fresh or canned. Whatever floats your boat.
- I’ve stuffed this mixture into egg rolls, fried them, and served with my Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce… Oh.My.Goodness. It was amazing (psst: and football season is almost here! Hello party apps!).
This recipe was made in partnership with Tomato Love from Red Gold Tomatoes. Per the usual, all opinions here are mine alone and I would never recommend an ingredient that I did not immensely enjoy myself. Thank you for supporting the brands that support SliceOfJess.com!