This low carb cabbage lasagna features layers of silky cabbage tucked between spicy sausage and bubbly cheese. Trust me, you won’t even miss the noodles.
This mouthwatering recipe is sponsored by Mezzetta Pasta Sauces. Per the usual, all opinions and content are 100% my own and I would never promote a product I don’t enjoy myself. Thank you for supporting the brands that support SliceOfJess.com!
There’s nothing more delicious than a homemade lasagna.
Ooey, gooey, can’t stop smiling while I stuff my face type of situation. You know what I’m talking about. Lasagna is a top contender when it comes to comfort foods for a good reason.
With summer just around the corner, I’m hitting the gym every morning and watching my carb intake. Carbs are delicious… don’t get me wrong. I LOVE CARBS. However, they aren’t the best for my waistline so I’ve been playing around with some alternatives lately. Insert cabbage lasagna sheets right here. Total game changer, friends!
First things first, you gotta start with a bright & flavorful pasta sauce as your base.
I’m obsessed with Mezzetta’s regional recipes line. Especially the Truffle, Porcini and Cream. It’s just so incredibly tasty. Other flavors in this line include Whole Garlic & Sweet Basil, Caramelized Onion & Butter, Parmigiano Reggiano, Italian Plum Tomato, and Calabrian Chili. I’ve tried them all and they’re seriously awesome. Any flavor will work great in this recipe.
Next you’ll add a layer of fresh cabbage leaves.
I slightly overlap mine to ensure it covers the entire baking dish. Don’t worry about having perfectly rounded cabbage sheets here… you’ll end up ripping them into smaller pieces, as needed.
Continue to layer this recipe like a typical lasagna.
I like to start with a mixture of whole milk ricotta, eggs, parmesan, red pepper flakes and freshly cracked black pepper. To give this dish some extra oomph, I also added about 1.5 cups of freshly cut kale into the ricotta cheese blend. This is totally optional, but I think it gives this dish some extra texture and color.
- 1 Large Green Cabbage, leaves separated
- 1 lb. Ground Sausage
- 15 oz. Ricotta Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ cup Grated Parmesan, + more for serving
- Fresh Cracked Pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp. Red Pepper Flakes, or to taste
- 2 jars Mezzetta Truffle, Porcini & Cream
- 4 cups Shredded Mozzarella
- Cooking Spray or Olive Oil, as needed for baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook sausage (or whatever meat you prefer) in a large skillet until browned. Drain and set aside.
- Combine ricotta, eggs, grated parmesan, fresh cracked pepper, and red pepper flakes in a large mixing bowl. If desired, add some chopped kale as well.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray or olive oil.
- Spoon a layer of sauce over the entire bottom of the baking dish. Next you'll add a layer of cabbage leaves, ricotta mixture, sausage, more sauce, and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layering one more time and finish with a layer of cabbage and cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is starting to brown.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes prior to slicing. Garnish with additional parmesan cheese.
A FEW NOTES ON THIS CABBAGE LASAGNA:
- Use a very sharp knife to ensure you are cutting through the cabbage layers. Sometimes the cabbage sheets will stick together, which is totally fine (it’ll still taste magnificent).
- If desired, you can add a sautéed onion to this recipe. Simply sauté in the same skillet you cooked the sausage in.
- It’s important to allow your lasagna to rest for at least 10 minutes prior to slicing. This allows the leaves to continue softening and the sauce to thicken.
MORE RECIPE FAVORITES:
If you’d like to watch more recipe videos, subscribe to my YouTube channel!
PIN THIS FOR LATER: