When it comes to appetizers, there’s nothing more fresh and colorful then Vietnamese Spring Rolls. Serve with peanut sauce and enjoy!
Whenever I go out to a sushi restaurant with friends, I always keep a lookout for spring rolls on the menu. They’re incredibly refreshing, light, and I am always a sucker for the dipping sauce. Sometimes it’s sweet, sometimes it’s spicy… the sauce really varies depending on where you’re dining. Other apps on my blog that you might enjoy include my Cold Noodle Salad (sometimes I even use that recipe to stuff into spring rolls). Oh, and these incredibly delicious Roast Beef Sandwich Sushi on Crispy Rice Cakes will blow your tastebuds away. Make sure to try my Korean Beef Cream Cheese Wontons, too!
INGREDIENTS FOR VIETNAMESE SPRING ROLLS:
With a handful of fresh veggies + rice noodles… you’ve got yourself a beautiful and tasty app! Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Stir Fry Rice Noodles
- English Cucumber
- Red Bell Pepper
- Mint Leaves
- Fresh Cilantro
- Fresno Chilies and/or Jalapeño
- Rice Paper Sheets
- Warm Water
- Protein of Choice (chicken, shrimp, tofu) – optional
- Black Sesame Seeds
Per the usual, ingredients in my recipes are completely customizable! Only have green bell pepper on hand? Go for it! Missing mint leaves? Try adding fresh basil! The combination possibilities are seriously endless!
I typically serve these with peanut sauce and lime wedges. You can buy it in the Asian section at your local grocer or make your own at home (recipe for my peanut sauce is coming soon!). Other dippin’ options include hoisin sauce, sweet red chili sauce, general tso, sriracha, chili garlic sauce, or whatever your little heart desires!
CAN YOU MAKE THESE AHEAD OF TIME?
While you can chop the vegetables and herbs ahead of time, I do not recommend making the noodles or wrapping everything together until you’re ready to enjoy. While these look like an easy meal prep item, the noodles and rice paper wrapping will actually become chewy if they’re made too much in advance.
MORE APPETIZER IDEAS:
- 3 oz. Stir Fry Rice Noodles
- 9 - 10 Mini Carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 English Cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper, cut into match sticks
- ½ cup Fresh Mint Leaves
- ½ cup Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- 1 Fresno Chili Pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 18 (22cm) Rice Paper Sheets
- Warm Water, for assembly
- Black Sesame Seeds, optional garnish
- Cook the noodles according to their packaged directions. Strain and rinse with cold water. If desired, cut into smaller strands with kitchen scissors.
- While the noodles are cooking, prepare the veggies, herbs and chili pepper. Set them aside for assembly.
- Place rice paper sheets on a cutting board with a rimmed plate or large bowl with warm water on the side to wet the sheets.
- Dip a rice paper into the warm water and then lay it flat on the cutting board. Arrange some of the cooked noodles, vegetables, herbs and chili pepper slices in the middle of the rice paper and then carefully fold together into a spring roll shape. Repeat until you've assembled all 18 spring rolls.
- Sprinkle with black sesame seeds and serve with your desired dipping sauce. Enjoy immediately.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- If making from scratch, prepare your dipping sauce before assembling the noodles. Sometimes I even mix the dipping sauce with the noodles before assembling to create an extra layer of flavor.
- I used stir fry rice noodles in this recipe… but you can substitute with thin rice vermicelli (maifun). I prefer the texture of the thicker noodles, but go ahead and use whatever you enjoy the most (or have on hand!).
- You can also get creative and substitute these with RAMEN! Sometimes I’ll stuff the rice papers with my Mandarin Orange Ramen Noodle Cabbage Salad! So good.
PIN THIS FOR LATER: