Street Corn Quinoa
I highly considered calling this Kitchen Sink Street Corn…
Most of my recipes come together because I have a little bit of this and a little bit of that leftover and I am a HUGE stickler when it comes to wasting food… it doesn’t happen in my house. If there is any remaining ingredients or table scraps that were not consumed, they are revamped into tomorrow’s spotlight meal. My toddler tests my patience with this concept, but that’s another story (darn picky eaters!).
This recipe came about because I had a plethora of leftover assortments in my fridge and pantry; so it was time to sweep the streets (hence the name Street Corn Quinoa) and come up with this week’s superstar dish.
Why is there Squash in this springtime masterpiece? I realize that squash season is officially over, yet I find myself still looking for them when I go to the farmers market or grocery store. I just can’t help myself… BIG SQUASH FAN over here. Last week I grabbed a small Butternut Squash from Publix while browsing the produce department. I didn’t even have any plans for it; but somehow the gourd ended up in my cart and has been proudly displayed on my kitchen bar top ever since. I thought about making my Butternut Squash Bruschetta, but didn’t have any French Bread so that was off the agenda. Instead, I came up with this healthy grain salad that has quickly climbed the charts as our go-to snack and meal inspiration (we’ve been adding it to everything!! Eggs, Sandwiches, Burrito’s, etc).
We made some Crockpot Chicken and mixed it together with the Street Corn Quinoa, then stuffed it into peppers. This was a super easy, low-carb meal that my whole family enjoyed… including my son!
Stuff Peppers with desired amount of filling and top with shredded cheese.
Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is crispy and filling is warmed through.
We served ours with a heavy drizzle of plain Greek Yogurt (or you can use Sour Cream) & Hot Sauce.
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- ½ Red Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Corn
- 1 (15 oz) can Black Beans
- 1 small Butternut Squash, cubed & roasted
- Juice of 2 Limes (about ¼ cup)
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Taco Seasoning
- ½ cup Cojita or Feta Cheese
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
- Cook Quinoa or Super Grain Blend of choice according to packaged directions; substitute Chicken Stock or Broth for water.
- Roast Butternut Squash: Preheat oven to 400F. Cut Squash into cubes (cut off the skin!) and toss in a little Olive Oil and season with S + P. Roast on a baking sheet for 30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Roast Corn: Preheat oven to 450F. Remove husks and silks from corn and discard. Butter corn and wrap in foil. Roast on a cookie sheet for 25 minutes, turning once. Set aside to cool and then cut Corn off the cob.
- Chop and prep all remaining vegetables.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and toss until well combined. Eat immediately or keep in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to 5 days.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE LET US KNOW IN THE COMMENTS SECTION BELOW. MAKE SURE TO CONNECT WITH US ON PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM AND FACEBOOK! CHEERS, FRIENDS! 🙂
Made this for meal prep, delicious!! I took a couple of short cuts to save time.
Pre-made shredded chicken
Pre-cut butternut squash
Drained and rinsed canned corn, spread on flat pan and roasted with cilantro
Hi Brina, I’m so glad you were able to try this! Your shortcuts are great ideas and I’ll definitely try that the next time I make this recipe. Thank you for stopping by, have a great week!