Summertime isn’t complete until you enjoyed a thick slice of toasty goodness topped with heirloom tomatoes. Fresh, satisfying and delish! One bite and you’ll be hooked.
SOMETIMES THE SIMPLEST RECIPES ARE THE TASTIEST!
Here’s all you’ll need to make a super-delicious meal:
- Fresh Garlic (optional)
- Thick-Cut, Crusty Bread
- Crème Fraîche
- Heirloom Tomatoes
- Fresh Basil
- Flaky Sea Salt
- Balsamic Glaze
Trust me when I say, this will become one of your favorite breakfasts. They’re perfect for entertaining, too!
TOASTING THE BREAD:
I personally like to buy a crusty, freshly-baked loaf at the grocery store and let it sit for a day on the counter. A sourdough round, ciabatta, or country French loaf are great choices as your base. You will want to cut the slices thick, that way the bread can hold up to the toppings. To toast, slather each side of the bread slices with butter (or mayonnaise… yes, mayonnaise is actually amazing here) and place them in a heated skillet to sizzle and toast. Flip once you have a golden brown color and repeat as necessary.
WHAT IS CRÈME FRAÎCHE?
In France, this is a naturally thickened cream that’s both savory and tart (I’d say it’s a mixture of texture between cream cheese and ricotta). It tastes great on toast, with fruit, and over smoked salmon.
HOW TO PICK HEIRLOOM TOMATOES:
My golden rule when it comes to tomatoes: inspect the skin to ensure its firm and tight. The tomato should feel heavy and have no signs of bruises. You can certainly make this recipe with another variety of tomatoes, but if you have access to heirloom I highly recommend them!
FRESH BASIL AND OTHER HERBS:
I’m a firm believer that fresh herbs are a total game changer. Heck, I’ve written oodles of recipes for That’s Tasty and I’m completely smitten with them! I prefer basil with this recipe… but oregano, chives and/or parsley would taste fantastic as well.
OTHER WAYS TO USE FRESH HERBS:
- Softened Butter, as needed
- Fresh Garlic (optional)
- 2 Slices of Thick-Cut, Crusty Bread
- 4 oz. Crème Fraîche
- 1 Heirloom Tomatoe
- Fresh Basil, as desired
- Flaky Sea Salt, as needed
- Balsamic Glaze, as desired
- CUT AND TOAST THE BREAD: Using a serrated knife, slice the bread to your desired thickness. Slather both sides with butter and toast each side in a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat until browned. Once toasted, rub one side of the toasted bread with fresh garlic (optional) and set aside.
- SLICE THE TOMATO: Using the same serrated knife, slice the tomato to desired thickness and set aside.
- PREPARE THE TOASTS: Spread 2 oz. of Crème Fraîche on the top of each toast. Then add the tomatoes, fresh basil, salt and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. Enjoy immediately.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- Thicker, toasted bread is a MUST in this recipe. Thin-sliced bread will become soggy rather quickly.
- Always cut tomatoes with a serrated knife to avoid bruising them.
- Would you like to make this into an appetizer for a crowd? Go ahead and use a thickly sliced baguette and cut the tomatoes according to size. Looking to make a heartier breakfast? Serve with bacon and eggs!
PIN THIS FOR LATER: