This is my first attempt at Spinach Pie and I’m totally smitten. When paired with whipped ricotta and phyllo, you’re totally in for a treat.
I’m a huge fan of individual appetizers or side dishes. There’s something extra cozy about having your own piping hot handheld of awesomeness. Similar recipes include my Sicily Stacks: aka Pizza Hot Pockets, these Mini Chicken Pot Pies with Mushroom Gravy, and my Make Ahead Freezer Breakfast Burritos! Oh, and you can’t forget my Cheesy Homemade Corndog Muffins Spiked with Pickles… those were epic!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
I originally thought about making these little guys with cottage cheese, but since I had a bunch of ricotta on hand… I decided to take a stab at whipped ricotta! Turns out, that was the right choice. It turned out SO GOOD. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Garlic Cloves
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Spinach
- Whole Milk Ricotta
- Calabrian Peppers
- Grated Parmesan
- Melted Butter
- Phyllo Dough
- Fresh Parsley
If you’re familiar with my blog, you’re well aware that I like my meals spicy. The Calabrian Peppers (which are my current fav!) are completely optional. If you’re making this for kids or non-heat lovers, you can skip them!
MORE SPINACH RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 5 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 9 oz. Fresh Spinach
- 1 tbsp. Chopped Calabrian Peppers, optional
- 15 oz. Whole Milk Ricotta
- 2 tbsp. Grated Parmesan
- 3 tbsp. Melted Butter
- ½ Package of Phyllo Dough
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan
- Fresh Parsley, optional for garnish
- Place olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic cloves and sizzle until fragrant, between 1 - 2 minutes. Then add fresh spinach and continue to sauté until wilted, about 5 minutes. Once wilted, add Calabrian peppers and sauté for 1 more minute and set aside.
- Add ricotta to a food processor and blend for roughly 1 minute, or until smooth.
- Melt butter and brush the entire interior of the muffin tin cups. Add 1 - 2 sheets of phyllo dough to each tin, pushing down to create a crust.
- Fill each phyllo muffin with a dollop of whipped ricotta and top with spicy spinach. Divide equally among 12 muffin cups.
- Top each with a sprinkle of grated parmesan and 1 - 2 more phyllo dough sheets. Brush the tops with olive oil and another sprinkle of parmesan.
- Bake at 375F for 15 - 17 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown on top. Remove from tins, and enjoy with your favorite sauce.
NOTES ON MINI SPINACH PIE:
- If you prefer to use kale instead of spinach, that will totally work! Heck, even arugula. Hmm… I might need to try both those versions and start a voting poll! 😉
- Like I mentioned before, I already had ricotta on hand. However, you can make this with whipped cottage cheese, cream cheese, or sub with your favorite shredded variety.
- I serve mine with sumac yogurt dipping sauce. Simply take 1 cup of 2% Greek yogurt, add 2 tablespoons of sumac, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. That’s it! Mix and enjoy.
PIN THIS FOR LATER: