Two classic sandwiches, one epic recipe. I opted for Chicago style, with peppers, giardiniera and all the frills of a cravable Italian sub.
It should come as no surprise that I heart me some sandwiches. In my eyes (or stomach?), they’re the perfect meal. Carbs, meat, cheese, lovely condiments… umm hello! How can you go wrong? Comfort food lovers will swoon over these Toasty Meatloaf Gems, and you won’t want to miss my take on a Classic Reuben Sandwich (snuggled in a cheese blanket!). Serve any of these alongside my Air Fried Pickles and you’ll be in heaven.
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS UPGRADED ITALIAN SUB:
How do you make an Italian sub even tastier than it already is? Top it with juicy meatballs, provolone cheese, and then pop them under the broiler! What are the end results, you ask? Melty, savory… straight up heavenly bliss. Oh, and because I’m a spicy food lover: I went ahead and stuffed these guys with Chicago sports peppers, giardiniera and zesty mayo!
- Hoagie Rolls (from the deli)
- Dry Italian Seasoning
- Chicago Sports Peppers
- Applewood Ham
- Simek’s Italian Style Beef Meatballs
- Provolone Cheese
I had six taste testers (aside from myself) for this recipe, and they all said it was one of the best sandwiches they’ve ever sunk their teeth into. Not kidding. They’re incredibly delicious… and that’s a FACT!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY:
We always have a bag of Simek’s Meatballs in our freezer. Not only are they preservative free (so you feel good about serving them to your family), but for every product you purchase they donate a meal to someone in your community. How wonderful is that? Other recipes I’ve made with their fabulous products (ahem, they also have lasagna!) include my BBQ Hawaiian Slow Cooker Meatballs, these Buffalo Meatball Taquitos and my Lasagna Stuffed Garlic Bread. All three are incredibly delish and I hope you can try them soon! Simek’s recently became available at Food Lion, so make sure to swing by and check them out!
- 4 Hoagie Rolls, cut almost in half
- 8 tbsp. Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Dry Italian Seasoning, or more to taste
- 8 Chicago Sport Peppers, chopped
- 16 oz. Italian Giardiniera, chopped
- 8 oz. Genoa Salami
- 8 oz. Pepperoni
- 8 oz. Sliced Applewood Ham
- 24 Simek's Italian Style Meatballs, cooked
- 1 tbsp. Celery Seeds
- 12 Slices Provolone Cheese
- Butter, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix mayonnaise and dry Italian seasoning together. Spread on both interior sides of the hoagie rolls.
- Layer with sports peppers, giardiniera, salami, pepperoni, ham, Italian meatballs, a sprinkle of celery seeds and top with provolone cheese.
- Place in a buttered baking dish, with the open side facing up, and bake for 10 - 15 minutes (or until cheese has melted and bread is toasty). Enjoy immediately.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- If you have time, mix the Italian seasonings with the mayonnaise about an hour beforehand. This gives it time to marinate together and taste extra yummy.
- Not a big fan of spicy peppers? Feel free to substitute the Chicago sports peppers with milder pepperoncini or banana pepper rings.
- Could you serve these cold? Absolutely! Layer the sandwiches with the cheese slices first, then pile on the meats and condiments. They’re perfect for a picnic at the park!
PIN THIS FOR LATER: