I am falling in love with my spiralizer all over again, post-pregnancy. So lookout blogging world… I am going to start spiralizing the crap out of everything! Last night, in an effort to get Dylan to eat sweet potato as a finger food, I wanted to create something fun for him to play with and eat, so I spiralized a few potatoes. He loved them! (Our dog did as well) Two potatoes makes a massive mound of noodles (which I like to call Poodles. If Zucchini Noodles are Zoodles, why can’t Potato Noodles be Poodles?), so I tried to be creative and make a classic Italian dish with what leftovers I had. The result was amazing. One of my favorite dinner’s I’ve had in a while and will definitely make it again! I hope you and your family enjoy it as well!
- 2 large Sweet Potatoes, peeled & spiralized
- 1 cup Pancetta, chopped
- ¼ Red Onion, diced (about a half cup)
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3-5 Basil leaves, chopped
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 3 tbsp Green Onions, chopped
- Grated Parmesan or Pecorino for topping
- For the sauce:
- 2 Eggs
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan Cheese or Pecorino (or mix both!)
- S + P
- Whisk together your Eggs and Cheese of choice in a medium-sized bowl and set aside. (If you want a creamy sauce, add ½ cup heavy cream to your eggs and cheese.)
- Pour 2 tbsp Olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add your spiralized Sweet Potato Noodles (Poodles) and sauté for 5-7 minutes. Make sure to toss them around frequently so they cook evenly. (You can also steam the noodles which cuts the fat, I’ll put a note below on how to steam them two ways)
- While your Poodles are cooking, in another large skillet, add 1 tbsp Olive oil, Garlic and Onion. Sauté for 3 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add your pancetta to your second skillet with the onion mixture and sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until crispy. Then turn your pan to low heat. Add chopped Basil leaves.
- When your poodles are done cooking, add them to your second pan of pancetta and onion mixture and toss them together so all ingredients are intertwined with one another.
- Slowly pour in your Egg and Cheese mixture over your poodles, constantly tossing till everyone is combined. Mix together for 1-2 minutes and then turn off the heat.
- Top with Green Onions and Parmesan or Pecorino … and Enjoy!
- Two other ways to cook your poodles are in the microwave or in a metal steamer basket. For the microwave, simply put them in a covered microwave dish on high for 2 minutes, then let sit for another 2 minutes before you take the top off. Be careful of the steam, it can burn you! The second way you can steam them is with a metal steamer that you place in a pot with water or broth. Fill your pot to just below the bottom of the metal steamer basket and bring to a boil. Add your poodles and steam for 2-3 minutes or until desired consistency.
Leave a Reply