Talk about the ultimate California burrito recipe. This bad boy is stuffed to the brim with all the good stuff and more. You’re gonna love it!
French fries… in a burrito? POR FAVOR! Piled high and rolled tight, these savory handhelds will satisfy the hungriest of appetites. Want some more tortilla-goodness? Give my Avocado Stuffed Mexican Flautas a whirl! These Chicken Salad Pinwheels are always a hit, as well as my Queso Stuffed Beef Barbacoa Street Tacos. Mmmm.
WHAT IS A CALIFORNIA BURRITO?
I first discovered this San Diego staple in my early 20’s. One of my best friends lived by Mission Beach and I’d go visit a couple times a month (I resided in Hollywood at the time so it was an easy drive for a weekend adventure). At first bite, I was smitten. Say hola to a fiesta of flavor in each and every bite. I’ve never had anything like it. Here’s what you’ll need to make your own at home:
- Skirt or Flank Steak
- Yellow Onion
- Seasonings (for cooking the steak)
- Mexican Crema
- Burrito-Sized Tortillas
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- FRENCH FRIES
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Pickled Jalapeños
- Green Onions
If you’d like to make these ahead of time, they freeze GREAT! You can put your own spin on them as well and add scrambled eggs (for a different take on breakfast), homemade salsa (or corn salsa), sautéed bell peppers, or chopped tomatoes. The possibilities are endless… and you’ll find different varieties available along San Diego beaches if you go visit. Treat this blog as your base recipe and go from there. Per the usual, everything I post is customizable to your personal preferences. Go explore!
If you’re looking for some more Mexican-ish recipes, make sure to check out a few of the following! Be sure to leave a comment or tag me on social so I can hear all about your cooking adventures!
- 1.5 lb. Flank Steak, sliced thin
- ½ Yellow Onion, minced
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Liquid Aminos (or low sodium soy sauce)
- Juice of ½ Lime
- 2 tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1 tbsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 3 Avocados
- ½ cup Mexican Crema
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- Juice of ½ Lime
- ½ tsp. Garlic Powder
- Pinch of Salt, to taste
- 8 – 10 Burrito-Sized Tortillas
- 3 cups Monterey Jack, shredded
- 28 oz. Bag Frozen French Fries
- 1 jar Mt. Olive Marinated Roasted Peppers, chopped
- ½ cup Drained Mt. Olive Sliced Pepperoncini’s
- ¼ cup Drained Mt. Olive Sweet Heat Jalapeno Slices
- 4 tbsp. Chopped Cilantro
- Place meat and all marinade ingredients in a large bowl or sealable plastic bag. Mix to coat. Marinate for a minimum of 1 hour, or up to 4 hours.
- Bake the French fries according to package directions.
- While the fries bake, smash the avocado flesh, and gently mix with the remaining crema ingredients. Cover and set in the refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble the burritos.
- Cook the meat to desired temperature. This can be done in a large cast iron skillet on the stove or grill over medium heat.
- To assemble, warm the tortillas and then add a layer of sliced steak, cheese, French fries, Mt. Olive Peppers, a spoonful of the Avocado Crema, a sprinkle of cilantro and green onions. Fold into a burrito shape. Repeat until all tortillas have been used. If desired, sear the exterior tortilla of each burrito in a frying pan until browned. Enjoy immediately.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- I absolutely love the mix of avocados and crema. However, if you can’t find traditional Mexican crema at your local grocery store you can certainly substitute with sour cream (or Greek Yogurt for extra protein).
- It’s extremely important to warm the tortillas before assembling. This ensures that they don’t crack and will fold easily around your magnificent mound of ingredients inside.
- Searing the burritos after they’ve been assembled adds an extra layer of crunch. I highly recommend it… but it’s totally not mandatory. Just super tasty. 🙂
This post is sponsored by Mt. Olive. Per the usual, all opinions here are mine alone and I would never recommend an ingredient that I did not immensely enjoy myself. Thank you for supporting the brands that support SliceOfJess.com!
PIN THIS FOR LATER: