This quick, easy, and flavorful Mexican beef and veggies skillet comes together in less than 30 minutes. Serve with your favorite fiesta frills and chips for dipping!
I’m all about simple, one-skillet meals during busy weeknights. Oh, and you know the best part? EASY CLEAN-UP! With our last of the summer zucchini haul, this dinner checks all the boxes. You can serve it in a variety of ways, but my personal favorite is over my Homemade Spanish Rice.
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE:
Here are the basic things you’ll need to make this meal. As alway, you can adjust the recipe with what you have on hand… but here’s what I used:
FOR THE SEASONING:
- Chili Powder
- Onion Powder
- Mexican Oregano
- Black Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
FOR THE SKILLET:
- Ground Beef
- Yellow Onion
- Garlic Cloves
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
I suggest serving with sour cream, tortilla chips, maybe some black olives, a sprinkle of cilantro, and fresh lime wedges. You could also drizzle with my Restaurant Style Salsa, add sliced avocados, plantain chips, or stuff the mixture into tortillas.
TIDBITS AND VARIATIONS:
Per the usual, all my recipes are adjustable and I encourage to use what you enjoy most or already have on hand. Are you trying to stay low carb? Serve this over cauliflower rice! Only have ground chicken or turkey? Swap it for the beef! Serving a larger crowd? Add a drained can of black beans for an extra oomph of plant protein and fiber.
WHY I LOVE THIS ONE SKILLET MASTERPIECE:
I grew up in California, so I automatically swoon towards Mexican food, Tex-Mex fusions, and pretty much everything in-between. The best part about this recipe though is the fact that it uses ONE SKILLET! Oh, and the fact that it comes together so quickly. Need a recipe for meal prep? This here is for you! It reheats marvelously. 🙂
MORE MEXICAN FAVORITES:
- 1 tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp. Cumin
- ½ tbsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Mexican Oregano
- ½ tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- ½ Yellow Onion, chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Medium Zucchini, sliced into chunks
- 1 Clamshell Cherry Tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional)
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla Chips
- Sliced Black Olives
- Fresh Lime Wedges
- Whisk all seasoning ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Brown the ground beef over medium-high heat with the onion, garlic, and seasonings. Drain any excess grease, if necessary.
- Add the zucchini and tomatoes. Mix and cover. Continue to cook for another 8 minutes.
- Uncover, turn the heat off, and sprinkle with optional shredded cheese. Then cover again until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately with desired toppings.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- I prefer to use 80/20 ground beef in this recipe. However, you can use whatever % you enjoy most.
- Instead of making your own seasoning, you can certainly use a pre-packaged taco seasoning! I’m all about making things easy… I simply had the spices on hand so I made my own.
- Have different veggies on hand? Cool! This tastes great with yellow squash, broccoli, bell peppers, corn kernels, or spinach!