This Mediterranean-inspired Breakfast Bowl will give you the oomph needed to energize your day. Packed with fresh produce, it’s a healthy alternative to higher calorie AM options.
So I have a confession to make… I tend to cook in massive quantities and often have oodles of leftovers in my fridge.
Remember these Quinoa Tabbouleh Mason Jars from last week? Truth be told – I made so much quinoa that I needed to figure out what to do with the rest of it – so I got creative and made breakfast.
I’ve been trying to steer clear of dairy to see if it helps Gavin’s digestive system. It’s been pretty hard, as I’m a huge fan of greek yogurt in the AM. However, I’m also quite fond of savory recipes in the morning so this Mediterranean Breakfast Bowl was an easy switch.
The thing that’s so great about this recipe is the fact that you can customize it to your own taste (or what you have on hand).
Watching your carbs? Substitute the quinoa with cauliflower rice. Don’t like red onion? Skip it and add some cucumbers. Don’t like runny egg yolks? Scramble those bad boys. Get my gist here? This truly is a forgiving recipe.
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup cooked Quinoa
- 1 tbsp. minced Red Onion
- ½ cup sliced Cherry Tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped Parsley
- 1 tbsp. Feta, crumbled
- 2 tbsp. Hummus
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
- To soft-boil the egg: bring water to a boil. Gently add egg to the pan and boil for 6 minutes.
- While the egg cooks, prep all the produce.
- After 6 minutes, plunge egg into ice water immediately after and allow to cool for at least 1 minute before serving.
- Warm up quinoa, peel the egg and then pile all remaining ingredients in a bowl. Slice egg in half and enjoy right away.
- You can serve the precooked quinoa cold or warmed, both are delicious. I recommend initially cooking the quinoa in chicken or vegetable stock instead of water to maximize flavor.
- Try my white bean hummus with this dish, it’s delicious! (Please forgive my baby-blogging skills on the hummus post, I have it on my list to revamp that post.)
- Serve the entire dish over your favorite lettuce or spinach. It would make an excellent salad! Serve it with a Lemon Vinaigrette and you’re all set.
PIN THIS FOR LATER: