Smoothie Bowls are the perfect breakfast to kickstart a guilt-free morning. They’re loaded with healthy ingredients like spinach, green grapes and chia seeds… so you can feel an energizing boost of antioxidants while slurping down a tasty treat.
We jumped on the smoothie bowl train roughly four years ago, and have never looked back. It’s one of our go-to breakfasts and we love how customizable the toppings are. Added bonus: our toddler thinks they taste like ice cream. #MomWin
I try to keep a variety of fruits and vegetables in the house at all times so I can sneak them into Dylan’s meals. He’s turned into a very picky eater (hello age three), so it’s a work in progress. Any produce that I’ve had on hand for a few days automatically goes to the freezer. It’s a great way to ensure minimal waste… plus, frozen fruit works best for this dish anyways.
HERE ARE MY TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE A GREEN SMOOTHIE BOWL:
- Use lighter-colored berries to achieve a bright green color. Strawberries and raspberries work best. Darker fruit will turn the liquid pink or brown (which still tastes wonderful – but isn’t the color you’re aiming for).
- Always use frozen bananas, as they create a thicker consistency that’s ideal for scooping with a spoon.
- My favorite green fruit and veggie options include: spinach, kale, avocado, zucchini and grapes.
- Add plain Greek yogurt for a protein boost (optional – omit if Whole30).
AS FOR TOPPINGS… THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS.
Here is the key to transforming this bowl of goodness into a complete meal. A few of my favorite additions include:
- Chia Seeds
- Hemp Hearts
- Nuts & Seeds: Almonds, Walnuts, Cashews, Sunflower seeds
- Fresh Berries
- A drizzle of Almond Butter
- Unsweetened Coconut
- 10 oz. bag of fresh spinach (about 2 large handfuls)
- 2 ripe bananas, frozen
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- ½ cup frozen raspberries
- ½ cup frozen green grapes
- 1 cup coconut water (or almond milk)
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt (optional)
- fresh fruit
- chia seeds
- hemp hearts
- sliced almonds
- frozen grapes
- almond or peanut butter drizzle
- Add all smoothie ingredients to a blender and blend until well creamy.
- Add more coconut water (or almond milk) to thin, if needed.
- Pour evenly into two bowls and add desired toppings.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER