When it comes to summer, there’s nothing like firing up the grill. Try these creative hot dog recipes for a spin on a classic we all love.
Do you remember those epic Polish sausage dogs they used to have at Costco growing up? I personally topped mine with ketchup, dijon mustard, sauerkraut and white onions, while my brother was a ketchup-only type of kid. No matter what your diggity-dog preference might be, give these game-changing toppings a whirl… I guarantee your tastebuds will swoon!
HOT DOG RECIPES YOU’LL CRAVE:
THE PICNIC DOG: An entire garden-party that you can hold in one hand. I’m talking French onion dip, salty potato chips, pickled jalapeños (or you can substitute with fresh peppers for additional heat), shredded lettuce and chives. Delish!
The Tex-Mex Dog: It’s bready, it’s cheesy, and it’s totally addicting. There’s nothing more American than a hot dog, mix it up with our favorite flavors from Mexico and you’ve got yourself a real treat. Here we’ve got nacho cheese sauce, black beans, Pico de Gallo salsa and fresh cilantro. Say hola to your yummy new friend. (Psst: Here’s a Strawberry-Mango Pico de Gallo if you wanna mix things up.)
THE REUBEN DOG: Everything you love about this iconic sandwich stuffed into a soft bun. Pile on the Russian dressing, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, dill pickles, caraway seeds and Italian parsley. If you have some pastrami on hand, that would make this the ultimate meat-lovers treat! Wrap it around the dog!
Another favorite includes this Chicago Dog from Vienna Beef! Make sure to order one of their online kits if you aren’t located near the windy city! It includes the sports peppers, yellow mustard and Chicago style relish… all you need to do is chop up some white onions and tomatoes.
WANT MORE COOKOUT RECIPES?
- Hot Dogs, grilled
- Hot Dog Buns
- Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Black Beans
- Pico de Gallo Salsa
- Fresh Cilantro
- French Onion Dip
- Potato Chips
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Shredded Lettuce
- Fresh Chives
- Russian Dressing
- Swiss Cheese
- Dill Pickles
- Caraway seeds
- Fresh Italian Parsley
- Prepare topping ingredients, as desired, and set aside.
- Grill your desired number of hot dogs according to charring preference (usually between 7 – 10 minutes).
- Once cooked, place each hot dog in a bun and top with desired garnishments listed above.
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE:
- I did not list standard measurements, as these are a build-your-own-to-your-heart-desires type of dish. Want more pickles? Pile them on. Don’t like pickled jalapeños? Leave them off. Per the usual, this recipe is 100% flexible! Go on, get creative.
- To toast or not toast the buns is totally up to you. I prefer mine lightly toasted, but these taste just as grand taking the buns straight out of the bag.
- I like my picnic dog with plain-ol salted potato chips, but feel free to get fancy and substitute with your favorite flavored chip. Salt and vinegar, sour cream and onion, cool ranch Doritos… the possibilities are endless!
This recipe and all photography was developed exclusively for That’s Tasty. If you’d like to learn more about my recipe development for food and beverage brands, please check out my Recipe Development and Photography tabs for more details. Want to work together? Shoot me an email!
PIN THIS FOR LATER: