This vibrant tortilla soup recipe is packed full of protein, a hefty dose of crisp veggies, diced green chilies and fresh herbs. This is a great way to use up your seasonal produce and it tastes phenomenal. Hands down, it’s one of my favorite quick dinner recipes.
I’m one of those rare breeds who enjoys soup at any time of the year… even during the hottest days of summer. There’s so many ways to jazz up that bowl with bold flavors of the season, I swoon at the opportunity every time.
With a goal of eating healthier post-baby, I’ve been dabbling with the idea of doing Whole30 again. Did you happen to see my Chicken Verde Plates and Cabbage Salad recipes? They’re both fantastic and super simple to prepare.
Speaking of stress-free meals, this tortilla soup recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make.
Oh and added bonus: it’s also a one-pot stop. Toss everything in one large cooking vessel and poof, you have a hearty and delicious soup before you know it. Is there anything more fabulous than that? I think not.
Unlike my previous posts, this recipe does not fall into the Whole30 category (but I’m totally ok with that!). This protein-rich soup will satisfy all those cheesy Mexican cravings without a significant source of fat. Hello skinny jeans!
Tortilla soup isn’t complete without chips, so let’s just get that out in the open right now. To keep things on the lighter side, I like to purchase the baked variety (or make my own). I also prefer to serve chips on the side so I can use them as a scooping device. Is this a bowl of soup or a robust dip? Can we agree that it’s both?
I try my best to purchase organic ingredients as much as possible, especially when it comes to produce.
I recently came across That’s Tasty organic herbs at our local Whole Foods and I’m now hooked. The quality and freshness are impeccable and they truly make it easy to enjoy pesticide-free foods.
I’ve kept the base recipe for this soup dairy-free for those who might have dietary sensitivities. Feel free to add a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cheese if your diet allows.
- 1 lb. lean Ground Beef
- 1 Sweet Vidalia or Yellow Onion, chopped
- Olive Oil, as needed
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2-3 cups Vegetable Stock (depending on thickness preference)
- 1 cup Yellow Corn Kernels
- 4 oz. can diced Green Chilies
- Diced Tomatoes (one 14.5 oz. can)
- Black Beans in Seasoned Sauce (one 15 oz. can)
- Chili Beans or Pinto Beans (one 15 oz. can)
- 1 tbsp. Lime Juice
- 2 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- Fresh Cilantro, roughly chopped
- Chives, cut small
- Radishes, sliced thin
- Red Onion, minced
- Fresh or Pickled Jalapeños
- Lime Wedges
- Tortilla Chips
- Sour Cream (optional)
- Shredded Cheese (optional)
- Sauté ground beef and chopped onion in a large stock pot with olive oil until meat is fully cooked and onions have softened (about 6-7 minutes).
- Drain into a colander and return to the pot. Add remaining base recipe ingredients and simmer for at least 20 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, prepare desired toppings and serve with optional hot sauce or salsa.
Want to make this vegetarian? Skip the ground beef and substitute with your favorite grilled veggies! Sautéed summer squash, bell peppers and sweet potatoes work beautifully in this recipe. If you’re pressed for time (or corn isn’t in season), you can use kernels straight from the freezer too.
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER: