Learn how to make box mac and cheese better by adding a few simple ingredients. Revamp that childhood favorite into a meal the whole family will enjoy!
With everything that’s going during the COVID-19 quarantine, I thought it would be a good time to share how easy it is to upgrade a pantry staple: good ‘ol mac & cheese. Cooking beyond the box couldn’t be easier, and I’ve even got the video to prove it! I developed this recipe last summer for That’s Tasty. I know that I’m a little bias, but make sure to browse their recipe tab when you are looking to make something new!
Psst: I’ve made and photographed over 45 recipes that are featured on their website. 🙂
I’ve always had a big heart for boxed mac and cheese.
I mean… who could deny it? It’s warm, it’s comforting, it reminds you of both your childhood and college years. I have a similar affection for top ramen. If you ever meet someone who says they don’t like the blue box of noodles, they’re straight up lying to your face. Walk away from them, you don’t need that kind of negativity in your life.
- 1 (6oz) box Mac & Cheese
- 2 Tbsp. Salted Butter
- ¼ cup Milk
- 1 big squeeze That’s Tasty Organic Garlic Purée (about 2 tbsp.)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup Crushed Crackers + 1 tbsp. Salted Butter
- That’s Tasty Organic Italian Parsley, to taste
- 1 cup Bacon, cooked and cut into bitesize pieces
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Cook noodles according to the packaged directions. Subtract 1 – 2 minutes off the boiling time to ensure that they are slightly undercooked. We cooked ours for 5 minutes and it was perfect. (The noodles will finish cooking in the oven).
- Drain noodles and add butter, milk, ½ cup cheddar, That’s Tasty Organic Garlic Purée, and the cheese packet to the hot stove pot. Mix together until well combined and then add the noodles back in. Stir until every noodle is coated with cheese sauce.
- Mix crushed crackers with 1 tbsp. melted butter. Set aside.
- Pour mac & cheese into a buttered baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Top the dish with crushed crackers and pop it into the oven for 10 – 15 minutes, or until crackers have slightly browned.
- Garnish with That’s Tasty Italian Parsley + bacon. Enjoy immediately.
MORE MAC & CHEESE VARIATIONS:
- Shredded Chicken + That’s Tasty Italian Herbs Purée + Oregano
- Fresh Spinach + That’s Tasty Organic Sundried Tomato Purée + Basil
- Chunks of Ham + That’s Tasty Garlic Purée + Thyme
- Chili + That’s Tasty Organic Spicy Harissa + Cilantro
- Ground Italian Sausage + That’s Tasty Organic Sundried Tomato Purée + Chives
This recipe and all photography was developed exclusively for That’s Tasty. If you’d like to learn more about my recipe development for food and beverage brands, please check out my Recipe Development tab for more details. For additional tips and notes on this delicious mac and cheese, please click here for the blog that I wrote for their website.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Mind-Blowing Southern Macaroni and Cheese
Genoa Salami and Cream Cheese Wontons
My Grandma’s Recipe for Bierocks
PIN THIS FOR LATER:
Leave a Reply