This healthy sweet potato casserole is packed with fresh vegetables, shredded chicken and crispy bacon. Served as an entree or side dish, it’s a great option that just so happens to be Whole30, Paleo and gluten-free. Nutritious and delicious!
Charlotte’s culinary scene is booming and I’ve been attending 2-3 food-related events each week for the past few months.
It’s absolutely fabulous, as I have tried so many delicious menu items. Unfortunately, I’ve noticed that I’m slowly starting to gain some weight. Therefore, I need to change something pronto. I still have 30+ pounds of “baby weight” that I would like to lose and these events are making that a little tricky. (Who am I kidding? Baby weight? He’s almost 2 years old! 😉 )
In an effort to try and eat healthier at home, I have been playing with my spiralizer a lot. I post all of my crazy creations on Instagram, as I love sharing these recipes with my online friends.
- I have found when I leave the sweet potatoes noodles intact, there is a bit of liquid in the bottom of the baking dish after it’s done cooking. I used a slotted spoon while plating to avoid any excess liquid transferring to my plate. However, if you chop up the noodles into rice-sized pieces, the liquid is fully absorbed by the Sweet Potatoes and it actually turns into a more creamy consistency. Simply hand-chop the noodles or pulse them in a food processor.
- If you’re looking for a easy-peasy chicken recipe for your slow-cooker, check out my Crockpot Chicken!
This dish is served with an arugula salad, as the peppery bite of greens really compliment the sweet & savory casserole.
Thanks to this entree (and exercise), I am delighted to declare that I am down 6 pounds in just 3 weeks! Can we insert celebratory clapping emoji here?
- 2-3 large Sweet Potatoes, peeled & spiralized
- ½ Sweet White Onion, spiralized or sliced
- 1 Bell Pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 (10oz) bag Fresh Spinach
- Olive Oil, as needed
- 6 strips Bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 3 cups shredded Chicken (this is about 2-3 Chicken Breasts)
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- ¼ cup Chicken Stock
- 3 Eggs
- ½ tsp. Nutmeg
- S+P to taste (about 1 tsp. each)
- Parsley, chopped (optional)
- Compliant Hot Sauce (optional)
- Prep the sweet potato, onion, bell pepper, garlic, bacon and chicken prior to assembling casserole. I like to make a big batch of Chicken in my slow-cooker and then use it for various recipes throughout the week.
- In a large skillet, heat up about 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the Onion and bell pepper for about 5 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Add a tad more olive oil to the skillet and sauté spinach until it's wilted, about 5 minutes. Season with Salt & Pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease a large baking dish and add the spiralized sweet potato noodles. If you don't own a spiralizer, you can thinly cut the Potatoes into matchsticks or chop into small cubes - either of those methods would work with this recipe as well.
- Add the following ingredients layered evenly on top of the sweet potatoes in this order: vegetable mixture, spinach, bacon and chicken.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, chicken stock, eggs and nutmeg. Pour evenly over the casserole.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the egg mixture is set.
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER: