Add some heat to your traditional baked Pasta with this Jalapeño Macaroni & Cheese.
Trust me, this flavor combination of Cheddar and spicy Jalapeños is a surefire winner.
I love me some good old-fashioned comfort food. After a rough day, there’s nothing more comforting than the smell of melting cheese coming from the kitchen. I’ve tried making dozens of healthy versions of this comforting dish, but it just doesn’t come close in comparison to the real thing.
Here’s one of my favorite ways to make ooey-gooey Macaroni & Cheese recipes.
- 12oz Whole Grain Penne Pasta Noodles
- 3 tbsp unsalted Butter
- 1.5 cups FF Milk
- 2 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 2.5 – 3 cups Shredded Cheese (I like to mix Cheddar, White Cheddar and Gouda)
- 5 ounces Low Fat Cream Cheese
- 1 tsp whole grain Dijon Mustard
- ¼ cup pickled Jalapeno’s
- 1 tsp Cracked Pepper
- ½ cup Breadcrumbs
- 3 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh Parsley for Garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook your Penne Noodles until just before al dente, about 8-10 minutes. Drain and place noodles back in pot. Set aside and cover.
- While you are cooking the Noodles, combine the Olive Oil and Breadcrumbs in a small bowl.
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat the Butter and Flour over medium heat, constantly whisking to make a roux. Make sure to cook your Flour for a few minutes to get rid of any raw flavor. Then, slowly whisk in your Milk, Cream Cheese, Dijon Mustard and Cracked Pepper. Whisk until slightly bubbly and smooth.
- Uncover your noodles and toss in most of the shredded Cheese, Roux mixture and pickled Jalapeno’s. Mix together until everyone is covered in gooey cheese.
- Transfer your noodle mixture into an oven safe baking dish and sprinkle the top with additional cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh chopped Parsley, Enjoy! (I like to serve with hot sauce too)
- For extra oomph, mix in a half-pound of cooked ground turkey, sausage or beef at step 5.